pierre smith

Well Known Member
...yesterday, as we left Jekyll Island. A note came up on both the D-100 and the D-120 that said "Network communication error" or something similar. Then later, the 430 had a "No 429 arinc detected" and I had no indications on the HSI or winds aloft. Also no light on the HS-34

The same thing happened two days ago when we departed Athens, Ga. In both cases, everything worked fine from initial startup and during the flight.

It had sat in the hot sun for 4 hours in both cases.

Yesterday, I decided to reboot in flight and turned off both Dynons, but not the 430. Same results.

This morning, I went out there and both Dynons immediately booted up, the HS-34 had a magenta light for the 430's GPS and when I hit 'enter' on the 430's test, I had a half left LOC and half up GS needle, the usual. What gives?

Thanks,

Update...

...on my problem.

Apparently, someone else has also had an inop HS-34, as I did. Yesterday, when I turned on the master switch, no lights on the HS-34 after the airplane sat in the hot sun for 4 hours. Third time this has happened.

Today, in the cool hangar, everything is kosher...it all works, so there may well be a heat issue with the HS-34....we shall see.

I'm waiting on Dynon now and we'll keep you posted,

Best,

Flew a similarly equipped 9 a few weeks back cross country and had an intermittent communication issue between the 430 and the Dynons. I did a search on the Dynon site and found someone else with a similar issue. Dynon responded to them to upload the newest firmware version. Apparently it worked for the Dynon poster. I passed it on to the owner of the 9, but haven't spoken to him since. Might want to check your firmware version.

The problem is....

Although I am no where close to avionics, I already picked up some cooling fans for them. https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=16-1358&catname=electric

....that cooling fans don't run while I'm at the beach. The airplane was also pointed west, facing the sun...the way it has to be at this particular airport. I have an avionics cooling fan but it seems the heat triumphed before we boarded.

To Dynon's credit, another HS-34 is on its way after a test in the hot box at Dynon's,

Best,

Pierre,

Sounds like something is wrong with your HS-34...I bet the new one will fix the issue. I have not heard of a hardware failure of the HS-34 before.. You must have got lucky and won the lottery!!!

We expect allot out of avionics... They must operate from sub zero to well over 100?F. Occasionally all this new fangled surface mount technology and muli layer boards and micro sized components have issues with temps...

trend developing

I had the same thing happen last week. Recently installed HS34 and G 420W. After lunch on the tarmac the HS34 had no power and boxes gave the same anunciations. I was dreading having to track down my wiring goof (I figured it was my fault like usual). Next flight no problems. Interesting.

In which case....

...you're # 3, Bill.

Another caller told them the same story yesterday....we'll see,

Thanks,

Hopefully my bake session Saturday ensures that mine is OK.

My system was the one with the "Cold" issue and before they sent it back to me they said they put it thru more extreme temp test than they normally do. Hopefully mine was tested to high temps as well and was OK...

In conversation with Aerotronics....

...who wired and built my panel, the Dynons each have their own circuit breakers and we used one of them when I installed the HS-34 this Winter and didn't think about re-booting the HS-34 after we'd climbed to cooler temps around 70 deg. on Sunday.

In thinking about this issue, I'd recommend a separate switch for an Efis/HS-34 and maybe even piggybacking to the avionics buss. I'm not a fan of turning the master/alternator off and back on in flight because of shock loading the alt.

Best,