NovaBandit

Well Known Member
With the hot weather about to hit us, I thought I'd share the little portable air conditioner I built to keep myself cool for OSH last year.

11%2520-%25201.jpg

It's made out of a 48 quart cooler I had laying around, a heater core I picked up at the local discount auto parts store, a boat bilge pump, and a bilge blower. The total investment was about $60. The heater core is held in place with zip ties and sealed with expanding foam. The blower is just held in place with foam. The pump is screwed and siliconed to the bottom of the cooler.

Not pictured is the 20' dryer vent hose that I attach to the blower.

11%2520-%25203.jpg

This is how it works:

The cooler is filled with ice, then a few gallons of water. You can add salt to the water to get an even lower temp, but I never did.

The ice water is picked up by the bilge pump and pumped thru the heater core, then just dumped back into the cooler.

I have the bilge blower set to blow OUT from the cooler, so air is sucked INTO the cooler thru the heater core, cooling it down, then blown out the blower thru a 4" dryer vent to wherever I want the cold air directed. The gray box next to the blower on the lid of the cooler is a motor controller I was playing with to control the fan speed. It's not really needed.

11%2520-%25202.jpg

Splice the pump and blower motor into a 12v power source and you have a few hours of nice chilly air. It was effective enough to keep me cool in a pop-up camper at OSH, and I'm sure it would cool a cockpit down quite nicely!

I'm going to pull it out of storage and try to keep myself somewhat cool in the garage. It's not going to cool the entire garage, but it'll feel nice to have it blowing directly on me!

Great job of scrounging!

I can see this project in my future. Great cheap cockpit precooler. Have you seen the price of the commercially available products? Big savings, good job!

Built one too and it works surprisingly well. Being able to seal the intake (3" knockout plug) helps the ice last when it's not in use.

Good call. I use a piece of 2" pink foam board to plug the heater core when I'm not using it.

...You can add salt to the water to get an even lower temp, but I never did. ...

I don't know for sure, but I'd think salt water would be a bit hard on the heater core (corrosive). Antifreeze would work better, but it's expensive so you'd want to come up with some way of reusing it.

I don't know for sure, but I'd think salt water would be a bit hard on the heater core (corrosive). Antifreeze would work better, but it's expensive so you'd want to come up with some way of reusing it.

The heater core is probably 20 bucks. When it rusts out - get another one.

I have Cub Scout Camp duty coming up next week and will be spending 4 days in a tent in 95 deg heat. This might be a good project for the 4th of July holiday!:D

Need a solar charger to replenish the battery during the day.

The purpose of putting salt in the water is to lower the water temperature below
the freezing temp of the Ice.

Simpler?

Is there a significant advantage to adding the heat exchanger / water pump. Why not just blow the air over the ice inside the cooler and then exhaust?

Is there a significant advantage to adding the heat exchanger / water pump. Why not just blow the air over the ice inside the cooler and then exhaust?

You get a much bigger surface area to act on the air with the heat exchanger vs just blowing air on the water.

Amp Draw

I want to make one of these. Do you know how many amps the blower and the pump draw? Just wondering.