OneTwoSierra

Well Known Member
Once my 9A was flying, I needed to invest in significantly better headsets for myself and my wife. I bought the Lightspeed 30-3G for and used it for most of Phase I. When I got close to having this time flown off, it was time to buy a new headset for my wife. I thought I'd try the Lightspeed QFR XC-C, and if I didn't like them, I'd return them and get another 30-3G. So now that I've flown with both in an RV, here are my thoughts for anyone who cares.

The 30-3G, at about $600, is said to have some of the best ANR around. It does an absolutely outstanding job at eliminating the low end (exhaust/prop noise), and my RV is loud in this area. With the headset, I can barely hear a hum at the low end. In fact, compared to my previous headset (el cheapo), it seems dead silent at the low Hz spectrum. The high end is good. I can, however, tell when I'm speeding up because I can hear more wind noise, but its not loud. I can use use the MP3 input and it sounds great. The wind noise is just noticeable.

Then I flew the QFR XC-C, at $300, it is said to be a best value headset because it boasts some of the best passive noise reduction, and a pretty good ANR for the low end noise. Let me tell you, this headset is SILENT when it comes to anything but the low Hz spectrum. All that I can hear a louder exhaust/prop noise, and NOTHING of higher, ambient wind sort of sound. (I should point out that with sunglasses, you can hear a bit more because it breaks the seal at the top of the ears). It is overall quieter than the 30-3G. I was quickly reminded how much I rely on the wind noise level in the cockpit to give me an impression of speed and engine setting. When I fly with this headset, I feel less on top of things because I can hear next to nothing. I have to keep my eyes on the gauges more because I can't judge by sound whether my nose is dropping, I'm speeding up, or my engine setting is where I want it.

So, believe it or not, I'm going to stick with my 30-3Gs because I can hear MORE (It is still the 2nd quietest headset I've worn). Could I get used to the QFR XC-C? Maybe. But being a glider pilot before anything else, hearing the upper end of the spectrum change is something I'm used to and rely on. And there are other things that make me want to keep my 30-3G. It nearly totally eliminates the bothersome low frequency noise, it sounds much better when transmitting (the sideband in the QFR XC-C sounded very distorted) and music sound quality is better, but both these are minor details to me for an aviation headset. The 30-3G is more comfortable (softer) with less clamping force which is a more significant factor. The QFR XC-C is by no mean uncomfortable, but it does squeeze tighter to get that passive sound reduction.

I'd say that for a passenger headset, the QFR XC-C beats my 30-3G. It is overall quieter and has a longer battery life for the ANR (50 hours vs. 25), is less expensive, has the same inputs (cellular or MP3). I think passengers will appreciate the near silence of the headset.

For what its worth....
Brian

Lightspeed QFR XC

I'd say that for a passenger headset, the QFR XC-C beats my 30-3G. It is overall quieter and has a longer battery life for the ANR (50 hours vs. 25), is less expensive, has the same inputs (cellular or MP3). I think passengers will appreciate the near silence of the headset.

First time I've heard of a headset being too quiet! :D

A main reason I replaced my old 15K with a QFR is the lower profile headband. In my RV-6 tip-up, I frequently bumped the canopy in turbulence with the 15K but no longer have that problem with the QFR. The first time I wore the QFR was the flight home a couple years ago from S-N-F. I must admit the quietness and different accoustic signature of the QFR required some acclimation, but I have been very pleased with this reasonably-priced headset.

Sam Buchanan

Headsets

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the real life comparison. I spent quite a bit of time at Osh looking at head sets. I had settled in on the 30-3G and will probably still go that way. These will be purchased soon unless something causes the Bose to drop $400 in the next couple of months!!

Darwin N. Barrie
P19

Me too.

I recently bought the qfr Lightspeed set. It is very quiet, very comfortable. However, I have a fixed prop and I can assure you that I could tell if the plane was climbing/descending just from the sound. So, I would not say that they are TOO quiet. I'd say more like just right :). I considered ANR'ing (is that a verb) my passive Peltors. It would have cost $200+ plus my time. I'm glad I sprung the $300 for the Lightspeeds. I couldn't be more pleased with them.

John