Don

Well Known Member
Generally I've kept current using wings but after a few years of not flying much at all I knew I had some rust to knock off. I'm hoping to have my 9A in the air next year and I figured I need to hone my flying skills. I have a friend who is a CFI and IA and we did a lot of very predictable air work and, like riding a bike, most of it came back quickly.

We spent part of two evening doing pattern work and I learned something really worthwhile. I've got close to 400 hours, mostly in a Cherokee 140 (that I'm flying now) and this is probably old hat to high time pilots but it was new to me as a routine practice. Instead of reducing power abeam the numbers to about 1700 rpm, like I was taught, Tom had me cut the power to idle and pitch for 70-75 mph with one notch of flaps and then fly the pattern tight, adding flaps when needed. It took two evenings before I got comfortable and another 8 or 10 landings to feel proficient. Basically every landing is a dead stick landing.

When learning to fly and when getting instruction after getting the license to fly, instructors would always advise that you should never be in a position in the pattern where, if you lost an engine, you couldn't make the field. They'd say this and I'd look at where we were turning base and I knew there was no way we'd make the field without power. It seemed like sage advice that they were passing on without the skills to make it happen.

Well, Tom's technique works to keep you within gliding distance of the field, it might save a small amount of fuel, and seems to add a real measure of safety by making every landing a dead-stick landing. If I ever lose an engine in the Cherokee I'll be feeling a lot better about setting up a dead-stick approach. Tom says the method works in most small planes - I'm curious what others think of the method but mostly I'm interested in knowing if it works in an RV...particularly the 9 which everyone says floats. I realize the approach speed may be different.

That's how I was taught...

to fly patterns back in 1968 in the Champ. I try to do that now, but if there is anyone else in the pattern it is pretty difficult, as may times they are in 172's flying 747 patterns....

That's the way my primary instructor taught me to do it as well, just makes good sense to put yourself in a position where you can eliminate power loss as a potential factor.

I was not taught that way but ...

When I started flying our Archer to work every day in the 80s I adobted a very short approach into EMT early in the morning before the tower opened.

However, I think you should fly the airplane all the way down to the runway based on what is happening at that time and not lock into a procedure oblivous to changes in conditions and variations in your procedure (difference in starting height, speed, weight, wind, altimeter, etc.).

On our RV-6A I have four different wing spans and tip configurations currently available and have had a 5th that I destroyed to make one of the current versions. I make the short approach with all of them with no problem and they all slip very well but they are all different. The wing spans range from 21' to 24.5'

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Amen to the Close Pattern!

I keep a little power in on my 6A or add it on short final but I am with 100% on the tight pattern, way safer IMNSHO!

Hans

I think you should fly the airplane all the way down to the runway based on what is happening at that time and not lock into a procedure oblivous to changes in conditions and variations in your procedure (difference in starting height, speed, weight, wind, altimeter, etc.).
Bob Axsom

I'm with Bob on this. You should be able to adjust to the conditions that are presented. Anytime you are operating in a busy environment the conditions can change very quickly. So there you are nice and tight downwind, planning the perfect power off approach, and the tower says, "RV XXX, extend your downwind, follow the regional jet 2 miles final, caution wake turbulence." Like it or not, you are going on a small cross country. Since this discussion started about Flight Reviews, I always find it interesting to "change it up" whenever I am conducting a review. Expect the unexpected. :eek:

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The -9 is an easy airplane to land, IF you manage the speed. Nail your speed and you will nail your landing.

If I add any power once abeam the touchdown point, I consider the landing failure.

My technique is really simple; On downwind I pull all the power, abeam the numbers I put in all the flaps, trim it for 65 mph solo, 70 mph w/ two or a heavy load, fly a tight pattern holding those speeds all the way around.

It makes for a very simple work load as you are pitching for speed and power for distance, if needed.

Even on strong X-winds I still land at 70 and perform a wheel landing.