gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Our non profit aviation group was donated an experimental plane. The charter says we can not OWN a plane by the national organization. The officers accepted and have physical possession of a Fly Baby (single seat, open cockpit, low wing, fabric covered). I know little about it but looking for advice about legality and working on it, what questions to ask (log book, registration, accident and maintenance history). Let's assume original builder is out of the picture.

The wings are off. It needs new fabric. The Engine apparently is good, Continental C65 is low time reportedly and has log books I think. I don't know if it is currently registered or hours, but it was a flying plane at one time.

• One option in my mind is sell it as is and take the proceeds and put it in groups bank account for education. We sponsor young pilots getting their pilot certificate.
  • Two, option is use it for a non flying display or teaching tool, like fabric covering. However it takes up room in our hanger space which limits room for other projects.
    n
  • Three, get it back into flying condition. Who or how we register it, don't know. The Chapter can not own flying plane. We could work on it, get it up to flying and sell it I believe.

As I understand it if we do major repair, work we will need an A&P to supervise and sign it off.

I know there is not a lot to go on but in general your opinion and pros and cons are appreciated. It is a group decision however the dynamics of the group are such a few decide for all... want the best for the plane and group.... Personally I love to see it fly but it may be best to sell it as is.

Last edited:
Our EAA charter says we can't own an airworthy airplane. Building, repairing, etc would be ok if out of annual or not airworthy. If it can not be flown, then it would be fair game.

The sign-off appropriate to the standard FAA rules.

Donate it

We had a similar situation a few months back. The aircraft wasn't flown for years and realistically could fly again, but needed substantial work due to corrosion, a few broken wood parts, new covering, questionable maintenance history,…. We got it for free and best guess is we could part it out for about $10-15k. Selling the biplane was going to be lengthy because of the limited market.

While we have a ton of builders in the chapter, the odds of getting the focus on this project over the years it will take to get flying is low. Either people had their own projects underway or were more focused other aspects of aviation.

We have a young A&P on the field that is just getting his career underway. He is a member of our EAA chapter and expressed a strong interest in getting it flying. He is the kind of guy that is always around to lend a hand or help with owner maintenance. Turned out to be a win win for all. We helped free up hangar space for the local airport. A young A&P has a side project that he will hopefully get flying, if not he will learn a bunch. Chapter members that want to get involved still have the opportunity to help.

My previous Chapter had a Europa donated to it. They fixed up it, a member who was an A&P led the project, and then they sold it.

Our chapter restored an Ercoupe has been building a Highlander for years, since before national cared about that sort of thing. When it was brought to our attention they started a parallel club, 355Flyers.

My old EAA chapter built a Wag Aero Cubby, it was a chapter project but was financed and owned by a few members who formed the "Cubby group" within the chapter.

Worked out well for them----but then it was 40 or so years ago.

If you decide to get it back into flying condition, you may be aware that Ron Wanttaja is the Bowers Fly Baby guru and keeps up the excellent Fly Baby site linked below. Be sure to review the 'Safety' tab on that page.

All the plans are downloadable for free, including the 14-part building series that appeared in EAA's Sport Aviation magazine. Scroll down to 'Plans' in the Index:

Pete Bowers and N500F:

i-HWqTGWs-L.jpg

Last edited:
Great replies..... Yep very wise and helpful. We have a chapter of good old boys who have been in this chapter forever, rule the roost. I'm no spring chicken but a member of this local Chapter for 5 years (lifetime EAA member since late 80's). I suspect after the planned tail removal to take up less room to shove against hanger wall it will sit ... for a long time.

Good suggestions, appreciate it. I'll have some comments next meeting with your helpful insight.

RV8JD I totally remember that picture.... and many Fly Baby stories in Sport Aviation over the years. I never flew one but I know they must fly nice, because it looks right. Thanks for the site references. I will review them.

Our EAA chapter was gifted 2 experimental airplane projects. We sold them both, at a reasonable price. Now have the money to upgrade our chapter hangar, add to our tool room, etc.

Something to be aware of if your situation in NC is similar to ours in Michigan. In MI there is a 6% use tax applied to any airplane obtained, not a sales tax. Our local chapter received an aircraft and now the state is billing them the assumed 6% value. I don't know the details of the transfer but apparently it tripped a switch somewhere in the system.

Something to be aware of if your situation in NC is similar to ours in Michigan. In MI there is a 6% use tax applied to any airplane obtained, not a sales tax. Our local chapter received an aircraft and now the state is billing them the assumed 6% value. I don't know the details of the transfer but apparently it tripped a switch somewhere in the system.

Thank you. My profile must be off I was in NC but in TN now. Yep there is a whole bunch of land mines. As long as it is hidden away in a hanger and no registration was done.... what they don't know does not hurt the tax man (at this time).

I found no Fly Baby's for sale. The four major Fly Baby kits from Spruce Aircraft is $12,329 not including shipping and tax. Of course that is raw materials, no engine or prop, no fabric, paint, no upholstery, no electrical, lights instruments avionics..... on and on. It is worth saving? Sure but not a financial choice to be sure. The cost to build one from scratch is not cheap, but what in aviation is cheap..... :eek:

I helped a good friend at the airport complete his FlyBaby last summer and it is now flying very nicely. He is well-connected in the FB community and told me flying FB's usually sell for less than $10K with a little Continental. My buddy is way, way, way upside down on his. Just the wood will cost that much now.