kellyp

My RV-6A stuck a valve on the way to OSH and I made an emergency landing at an airport in Hoxie, Kansas. All went well for my first REAL emergency landing and I have a new cylinder on the way to get the plane airworthy. Sadly, I will be missing ALL of Oshkosh.

I have a request from a fellow RV pilot in the Denver area. I'm looking for
a ride from the Denver airport (or Front Range airport) to the Hoxie, KS
airport (1F5). I will be in Denver on Friday the 27th around noon at DEN.
I will gladly pay all expenses for a ride (car or plane) to the field in
Hoxie.

This is the only part of the repair and retreival I have yet to work out, so
any help would be appreciated.

Please contact me via email: [email protected] or cell phone 602-448-3518.

Thanks everyone,

Kelly Patterson
RV-6A N716K
PHX, AZ

Valve

kellyp said:
My RV-6A stuck a valve on the way to OSH and I made an emergency landing at an airport in Hoxie, Kansas. All went well for my first REAL emergency landing and I have a new cylinder on the way to get the plane airworthy. Sadly, I will be missing ALL of Oshkosh.

I have a request from a fellow RV pilot in the Denver area. I'm looking for
a ride from the Denver airport (or Front Range airport) to the Hoxie, KS
airport (1F5). I will be in Denver on Friday the 27th around noon at DEN.
I will gladly pay all expenses for a ride (car or plane) to the field in
Hoxie.

This is the only part of the repair and retreival I have yet to work out, so
any help would be appreciated.

Please contact me via email: [email protected] or cell phone 602-448-3518.

Thanks everyone,

Kelly Patterson
RV-6A N716K
PHX, AZ

Were you able to free up the stuck valve? Mouse milk usually will do it?

Good Work!

Any time you can get it back on the ground in an emergency is a good thing - and getting it back on an airport with no injuries is the best of all!

Paul

More damage than just the valve...

It was not a matter of just loosening up the stuck valve by reaming out the sleeve. The valve contacted the piston, severely bent the pushrod and tube, pushed the valve spring off the seat and on top of the center 'post'. The valve stem may have broken in 2 pieces. I was lucky it did not put a hole in the piston and require a total rebuild.

At any rate I'm still lookingfor a ride from Denver to Hoxie on Friday and I'm hoping someone on the RV list can help me out. You guys are the best!

WOW...!!

kellyp said:
It was not a matter of just loosening up the stuck valve by reaming out the sleeve. The valve contacted the piston, severely bent the pushrod and tube, pushed the valve spring off the seat and on top of the center 'post'. The valve stem may have broken in 2 pieces. I was lucky it did not put a hole in the piston and require a total rebuild.

At any rate I'm still lookingfor a ride from Denver to Hoxie on Friday and I'm hoping someone on the RV list can help me out. You guys are the best!

Ouch! Something came loose for sure. We're sure glad you made it down safe! Good luck to Denver. If I was flying now, I'd fly up and take you myself.

more info when time permits?

Interestingly stuck valves do not seem to be a significant problem on RVs. If you wouldn't mind sharing more info on your engine?

Did the engine ever exhibit "morning sickness" ie: rough running right after start when cold?

Which Cyl #?
Cyl type ( chrome, nitride, etc )?
Cyl manufacturer?
How old is the Cyl?
Hours on Cyl?
Engine type?
TT on engine?
TTSMOH?
Engine history.... (has it been operated on any other acft before the RV?)
Any work done Re: Lyc Service Bul 388c or Service Inst 1425a?
FAB with filter or old NO Filter type induction?
Oil type used, consumption, any oil additives used?
Oil change interval?
Normal oil temps, highest oil temps, lowest oil temps?
Any oil SOAPs or filter inspection, suction screen info?
Normal CHTs you observe on that cyl?
Highest CHTs you remember observing on that cyl (ie hot day climb)?
Do you operate LOP or ROP etc?

thanks,

mike

Last edited: