jthocker

Well Known Member
Well, thanks to Mutha's "Little Helpers" his beloved ride is about to fly again. After suffering thru the Sun n Fun tornado, and having to truck his plane home, Mutha presents his "Phoenix"!

She is sporting: 2 new ailerons, a new rudder, new top outboard wing skin, new fuselage mid side skin, and 2 new (old school) wing tips.

The 415 wingtips will allow me to use the new LED nav/strobes and will allow Mutha to dispense with that pesky tail light.

A special thanks goes to RV7 builder Fred Herzner for taking the initiative to drill off the wing skin and fuselage skin, and thanks to RV10, RV8 builder Sam Marlow for helping Mutha rivet on new skins!
Barring difficulties during the test flight tomorrow, Mutha and his ride will be in Homebuilt Camping Sunday thru Wednesday.
Feel free to autograph any unpainted surface on the plane with a Sharpie!

Bravo

Glad to see it's back together - BTW, I like the polished rudder - don't paint it, looks cool that way :)

Very Cool

Awesome Jon!
Wish I had some "Little Helpers" to get my ten year 8 done.... let alone several Rv's and a major repair. Nice work!

Dana

WOW!!

Talk about perseverance! Blue skies and tailwinds, my friend!

Would one of you guys kindly write "PIERRE loves you" on one of the panels since I won't be at Osh?

The peanuts and cotton you're waiting for need to be sprayed..:)

Later,

Having seen it at S & F and thought....

6 weeks of work and it should be OK, I was surprised at your original post about letting it go.

I should have guessed there was a sub plot ;)

Great to see you back in the air again in your airplane.

Mutha

I am excited to see your bird ready for formation flight amain, the unfortunate Tornado in Florids did some of us favors, others heart ache.
You did not deserve this to happen to you.
Best of luck with the paint touch up, we'll fly together soon

Tad Sargent
"Stripes"
TeamRV.US

Nice job!

Jon,

Never thought I would see that bird fly again. FYI, much of the RV-7A that hit your airplane will be recycled into an RV-8. Ironic? :rolleyes:

Jon,

Never thought I would see that bird fly again. FYI, much of the RV-7A that hit your airplane will be recycled into an RV-8. Ironic? :rolleyes:

Mutha thinks he should never have to buy a beer again while in the presence of Stripes, don't you think?

I am excited to see your bird ready for formation flight amain, the unfortunate Tornado in Florids did some of us favors, others heart ache.
You did not deserve this to happen to you.
Best of luck with the paint touch up, we'll fly together soon

Tad Sargent
"Stripes"
TeamRV.US

Lets try not to "trade paint" again OK!:D

415 Tips

The 415 tips are avialiable, just order them when you order your Wing kit.
Glad to see the repairs done.

That's great news, Jon! Looks like the plane has some real character now. Packing a Sharpie right now. See you there.

HBC

Hi Jon,
I'll try to think of something clever to write as I am volunteering all week in HBC this year. Looks like a great job from what I saw at SNF from the HB parking building front window:eek:
Blue skies

Mutha you dog

Now get your BUTT in gear and come down and visit..
Congrats on the Phoenix.

NIce, very nice. I like this thread. It is amazing to me to get repairs done and ready to fly again after some of the damage in what seemed like a short period of time.

NIce, very nice. I like this thread. It is amazing to me to get repairs done and ready to fly again after some of the damage in what seemed like a short period of time.

I agree - fast work! I bet the hardest part was dissassembly and moving it 1000 miles...

Mutha's update

Mutha spent the morning and early afternoon putting the interior back together. Then, with freshly topped off tanks(to make a really big smoking hole), the "Phoenix" lifted off at approximately 1430 EDT. Mutha and Phoenix climbed for cool air and found some at 8500 ft. The Phoenix was put thru a rigorous 20 minute test flight, which she passed with flying colors.
Squawks...........need new rudder tab...........heavy right wing(fixed by squeezing left aileron).
Thats it!
Mutha's ride is RISEN! Rejoice!:)

Proud New Owner of Your RV-6A

I am the proud new owner of your RV-6A (973JT). It sports the same beautiful paint job as Mutha. I was thrilled to sign on to the forum tonight and see your plane. I had heard about the damage sustained at S and F. Glad your back in the air. I absolutely love flying your 6A. Was wondering if any other your other planes also have the same paint scheme? I won't be going to OSH but would love to hook up in the fall.

I am the proud new owner of your RV-6A (973JT). It sports the same beautiful paint job as Mutha. I was thrilled to sign on to the forum tonight and see your plane. I had heard about the damage sustained at S and F. Glad your back in the air. I absolutely love flying your 6A. Was wondering if any other your other planes also have the same paint scheme? I won't be going to OSH but would love to hook up in the fall.

Hi Ron,
3JT and 6JT are the only ones with that scheme! See you in the fall then!
Regards,

autographs

Mutha took his plane to the paint shop this afternoon, but before he left, he snapped some photos of the autographs and artwork accumulated at Oshkosh.
Mutha would like to thank everyone for there kind words and encouragement and artistic skills. He wishes he could have stayed at OSH longer to collect more! Many thanks to Phil (Ripper) Lamb for providing some great art work, there's probably a Tazmanian Devil nose or tail art in Mutha's plane's future!

Here's some pic's!:D

Muthu, where's the... "Stripes was here" ..."There"... "And a little over here too"

Great to see it back all together

Tad "Stripes" Sargent
TeamRV.US

Back from re paint

Mutha got his plane back on Saturday. The new wingtips allowed some new accents, and the flaps got the checkerboards he's always wanted.

Terry Dunlavy of Edge Aircraft Inc. in Urbana, Ohio did the paint and re-paint.
937-653-5300 Mutha highly recommends him!

I am sort of disappointed that you didn't spray clear coat over all that nice art work that you got at OSH. That would have made a unique conversation piece. Now you've got just another beautiful RV. No hint of the story this plane could tell.

Just kidding. Looks great!

Actually Kevin, don't be surprised if some of that "artwork" isn't replicated in decals, to in fact tell that story!!

Decals?

Mutha, no need to replicate I'll bring a Sharpie to Pine Bluff in Oct. & fix it up for you! :eek: