prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm about to oder my finish kit. The form says that if you are buying an engine from anyone other than Vans, you have to supply the engine identification form. Does this mean I really have to commit to an engine supplier now?? Or could I just go ahead and order as-if I were going to get the engine through Vans, and still be OK if I end up getting it from Superior or Aerosport later? I know i definately want an O-320 fixed pitch, but haven't decided on all the details yet.

That being said, can anyone tell me how to read the model numbers? Superior sells an
IO-320-A1AC2
I know this is a fuel injected O320, but does the rest of the code tell me the other things vans wants to know (induction, cylinder type, mount style) ?

Last edited:
They need to know what to put in the kit.

Phil,

Van's will need to know what to put in the kit. The engine type will determine what engine mount, cowl and spinner to include. I already have my engine but I am leaning toward a Catto fixed pitch prop so I would need to get the spinner for a wood prop. I'll probably order my finishing kit either late fall or early winter to try to beat next years price increase.

Hi Phil - I'm getting near the same spot as you. There is a Lycoming document that helps a bit reading the codes (I think it is under Firewall Forward, PM me if you can't find it). It is OK at a high level, but doesn't have a lot of details (like if the engine has a big front bearing, etc.)

I'm starting to look for an O-320, fixed pitch as well. I'm looking at all options (rebuild myself, buy used & running, new, etc.) Lots of $$$ any way you go :(

You may well end up money ahead by deciding on an engine now. It isn't impossible to change your mind later, but you may have to exchange some parts. That may be a bit more trouble for you since you are in Canada; I don't know. Customs and all that. Chances are that you can decide on the engine type and select the supplier later without problems, IMHO anyway. By now you should have a pretty good idea of what you want (and if you are like many of us, what you can afford!)

Bob Kelly

superior

I've been leaning towards the build school offered by Superior, for the educational value. I just had a nice chat with a guy on the phone there, which definately encouraged me more in that direction.

You don't need to have chosen an engine supplier before ordering the finish kit - Van's needs to know what you want so it can supply the correct cowling and spinner with the finish kit - you may wish to speak to them, but I think what they need to know is: 0-320/0-360 (or whatever is appropriate for an RV-9); parallel valve/angle valve; vertical induction/horizontal induction.
Constatn speed/fixed pitch versions of the same engine use the same cowl, I believe.
If you haven't decided between carb and fuel injection, you can specify carb, which will give you the cowl with a scoop, and still decide later to go with vertical induction fuel injection.
Van's will let you know what will work with what cowl, so I'd call them and go from there.
Bill
RV-6A
Ottawa, Canada

Hint hint on spinner

Mike, get the spinner from Catto with blade portion cut and holes drilled to backing plate.

Superior has the info you are looking for buried on their website. You need to surf to the Build An Engine page under the XP series section. On that page, there is a link to their configuration applet but there are also three document links. The third one explains the model scheme. In the example you gave, IO-320-A1AC2, is a fuel injected 320ci parallel valve head engine with a thin-wall, fixed-pitch crank and dynafocal 1 mounts. The second-to-last digit indicates a Unison ignition/Airflow Performance injection package and the next-to-last digit indicates updraft induction and roller lifters. The last digit indicates an 8.5:1 compression ratio/160hp engine.

Van's mainly needs to know the type of engine so they can get the engine mount/cowling combo correct. If you change your mind later, you may need to return the cowling, which would be expensive and time-consuming, so it would actually be a good idea to make your decision now. Besides, if you are on the finish kit, it will not be long before you make your actual engine purchase anyway.

Spinner... yes I am planning to go with the Catto 3-blade. Does this mean that I should delete the spinner from vans finish kit?

Spinner... yes I am planning to go with the Catto 3-blade. Does this mean that I should delete the spinner from vans finish kit?

Nope. I think you send your spinner to Craig and he cuts it for you. However, I cut my own and it wasn't a big deal. A couple of hours with a Dremel tool and sanding disk and you're done.

Cheers

Spinner suggestion

Catto has them. No need to buy from Vans then send to Catto. He does this all the time so can cut the spinner and properly mount it (drill hole) so it does not wobble.

Your choice.

Ok, another question along the same lines - if someone (like myself :D) wants to put a O-360 or IO-360 in a 9A, is Van's going to puke when I order the Finishing Kit and that's on the form? I know several people are running a 360 on a 9/9A, how has this been handled?

(I)O-360 in a RV-9A

I know one person who did that had had serious CG issues. Had to add weight near the tail just to get it inside the forward limit. It was also impossible to carry two guys plus baggage due to gross weight limits. They also had a CS prop.

If you go that route do a W&B first since you may have to place the battery well aft to help the CG.

PS...that person would not listen to the sage advice of others.

Ok, another question along the same lines - if someone (like myself :D) wants to put a O-360 or IO-360 in a 9A, is Van's going to puke when I order the Finishing Kit and that's on the form? I know several people are running a 360 on a 9/9A, how has this been handled?

I did that, and all they did was make me sign a form stating that I understood that Van's didn't recommend that engine, but they didn't refuse to sell me what I thought I wanted. My finishing kit is not due to be packed until next week, and I am probably switching back to an IO-320, but was told that what I currently have on order would work with either either engine and either carb of FI, though some modifications might have to be made.

Since the -360 is only a few pounds heavier than the -320 (a CS prop with a -320 would weigh more than a -360 with a fixed pitch), I don't see a W&B issue due solely to engine choice. But, I am nearly sure to go with a -320, so no name calling! :)

I agree about the W&B issues. That can be easily addressed during the build process, as long as the end goal is kept in mind. For every experimental idea, there are a hundred naysayers who are quick to tell you that all your kids will die if you try that, so I long ago quit paying attention to drama. I rely on simple physics and engineering, it won't lie to you. There is nothing wrong with putting an IO360 in a 9A - as long as you remember who is in control. The pilot has to actually be a pilot, and not simply a numb robot along for the ride pushing buttons and drinking the koolaid. Yes, it's more power. Yes it can overspeed in straight and level flight down low. Yes you have reduced flutter margins at altitude and full power. And, yes, the PIC is still the controlling factor.

First rule of aviation - don't do nuthin' stupid.

[/drama rant]

Last edited: