Toobuilder

Well Known Member
After looking good and hard at the -8 in my hangar that is equipped with a conventional (stock) slider canopy, I wondered if the rear (slider) portion could be turned around and mounted as a one piece throwover. It would require a raised "fastback" turtledeck, but the measuring tape seems to indicate that it might just work if the new rear bulkhead was simply raised (but not laid back). The base of the windshield would just touch the baggage door, and the apex would still be over the pilot's head. I'm thinking it would sure make for a mean profile!

Anybody have a cut canopy they can throw on a fuselage real quick just to see how it would work out? If you do, take a picture and post it up.

Thanks!

Although I like the look of some of the WWII canopies on fighters, The RV-8 is a tandem 2 seater and the canopies on trainers just don't look so hot.
The fold over canopy in the Me 262 looks practical, but a lot of work. The RV-4 has the advantage of full unblocked view, but not as safe a turnover structure. A razor back looks great, but you have to redesign the canopy again.
When I got done trying to re-invent the canopy I took a longer look at the way Van designed it.
Yep. I stuck with Van again. Every time I try to out think him, or come up with something better, well it adds a lot of time, and most of the time I end up doing it his way.
My only satisfactory mods so far have been 1) SIKA 295 bonding the windshield, canopy and skirts, and 2) deleting the Vans fuel pickup in favor of the John Ammeter pickup, which is a finger strainer threaded into a doubler plate riveted and prosealed into the aft lowest corner of the inboard fuel tank ribs.
Messing with an alternative engine has added YEARS to this project.
I still enjoy the engine project, and it's a good thing, or I would have given up.
Be careful making changes.

flip over canopy

If you have not checked it out Todd's Canopy's does have a throw over canopy that is built for the 8 which might be what you are looking for?

Allan Stern
RV 6A flying
RV 8A working on