prkaye

Well Known Member
I've read that Muriatic acid promotes corrosion of steel. What about our aluminum alloys? I may be etching my floor to prepare for a coating, but am worried that the vapour from the acid may lead to corrosion. Is this a valid concern?

I believe that it would be. Muratic acid is a diluted form of Hydrochloric acid. I think they use this to spray fuel tanks on large trucks to clean them.

I'm not entirely sure....this is just my opinion.

Highly doubt it would be an issue

Hydrochloric acid is used because the concrete is alkalyne by nature...So you pour on the acid...There is a reaction (acid and alkalie) where the concrete neutralises the acid and the acid etches the surface.

Then you paint your coating on which seals the surface.

A non issue.

Frank

but DURING the etching

My concern however is whether I should remove all airplane parts from the shelves high up on the garage walls, before I use teh acid to etch my floor. Wondering whether the acid splashing around, and during rinse, might make it to my parts in mist form and cause corrosion...

Yes it WILL cause corrosion if it comes in contact with aluminum parts - anodized parts to a lesser degree than alclad parts. If your pouring straight muriatic acid on the floor, yes you need to worry about the vapors and mist. If you dilute the acid 2:1 or 3:1 first, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Honestly, I think I would dilute it about 3:1 and worry more about my lungs than my parts. At that strength it's still more than strong enough to etch the concrete surface for prep.

prkaye said:
I've read that Muriatic acid promotes corrosion of steel. What about our aluminum alloys? I may be etching my floor to prepare for a coating, but am worried that the vapour from the acid may lead to corrosion. Is this a valid concern?
I've worked extensively with Muriatic acid in an industrial setting. The vapors will indeed corrode steel and aluminum...and rather quickly. My advice to you would be to remove all tools and parts from the workshop before starting the acid treatment. Invest in a good respirator (not the cheesy 3M paper ones) before working with the acid and don't take it off.

In fact, I now enjoy permanent lung damage after a spill. The company I was working for at the time didn't provide respirators (oilfield). The fumes were so powerful and I got coughing so hard I vomited. Doc said the acid did damage to my lung tissue. Serious stuff.

Dave

Pool chemicals will also cause serious corrosion also!!!! Do not store you parts anywhere near pool chemicals. You should see what the clecos look like after being near the pool chemicals for a year!

prkaye said:

Remember as a child how Wiley Coyote would mix up poison and after stirring the concoction with a spoon, upon removal, the spoon was gone? Same thing happens when you put aluminum in Muriatic acid. The reaction is VIOLENT! Muriatic acid has no place being used near aluminum. If you don't believe me, try putting some aluminum in a container of Muriatic acid. (Do this only outside in a well ventilated area).
Dilute Phosphoric acid is the the cleaning agent for use on aluminum. Look for Henkel Corp's AlumiPrep 33, PPG's Aluminum Cleaner DX533, or DuPont's 225S. Other manufacturers offer similar products.
What sort of coating are you using that would specify Muriatic acid as a cleaner??
Charlie Kuss

Not a cleaner - an etcher. It works wonders for etching concrete in preparation for epoxy paint.

Acid for shop floor

I could clutter this message box with descriptions, but why don't you get your whole shop into cardboard boxes and safe quarters till the job's over. Use cross ventilation and use the big fan upwind. Wrap doorknobs and unlit light fixtures in paper.