RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Is there a good reason why the fuel bent line is one piece running from the fuselage bulkhead fitting to the fitting in the bottom of the aircraft. I think it would be easier to run the line if it were fabricated in pieces and then spliced together with in-line fittings. Am I missing some thing, besides the additional weight of the fittings of course?

Thanks

To me, more fittings means more posibility for failures, something else to look at during yearly inspections, higher cost as well as what you mentioned.

why splice it

together with more fittings. I don't really see a big problem with it other than I would try not too.

Randy
8A finishing, FWF

Your the manufacture. go for it if it makes you happy or easier in your eyes. Being its just the vent line, Im over it, if you like it go for it

Vent line mod of ease of service

Is there a good reason why the fuel bent line is one piece running from the fuselage bulkhead fitting to the fitting in the bottom of the aircraft. I think it would be easier to run the line if it were fabricated in pieces and then spliced together with in-line fittings. Am I missing some thing, besides the additional weight of the fittings of course?

Thanks

Mike,
I used a two piece vent line in my 8A project, but for a slightly different reason. Those vent lines are not really "awful" to make while building the aircraft. However, consider that part of the vent line extends outside the fuselage. This part of the vent line is exposed to damage. The one piece vent line would be a nightmare to repair or replace once the ship is finished, due to lack or work space and it's large, convoluted shape. I split the vent line just above the cockpit floor. This will allow me to easily repair damage done to the exposed exterior part of the line. The bulkhead fitting is also in an area which is still easily accessible once the ship is built. Being a professional mechanic, I always try to consider ease of future maintenance and repairs.
If interested, contact me via email and I'll send you photos of my modification.
Charlie Kuss

I was playing with coat hanger vent lines today and I could not for the life of me figure out a way to get the complete line into the tower of my QB fuselage.
6 years ago somebody else ran into this and came up with a plan. This is why VAF is such a resource and I gladly donate.

Rocket fuel vents

I used the rocket style fuel vents after researching this site. They work great and are super easy to install. It's essentially a coiled line in the wing root that exits through the root fairing.

Hope that helps, Lance