WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I am at the point I need to order my exhaust system and am torn between a system with mufflers or without. I very much like the idea of a quieter plane inside and out. According to Craig the systems weighs 3-4 lbs more than a system without mufflers.

For those that installed a system with mufflers, what has been your experience so far? I've seen that cabin heat output is improved, but what about longevity of the system and cockpit noise level (for those that have flown both).

Thanks,

I have about 70 hours on my R-9A with Vetterman mufflers and I love them. Much quieter from outside the plane. Can't say how much quieter it is on the inside compared to others but I've heard it is better inside too. You will have to add some heat barrier material to the cowl as the mufflers are pretty close fit but that's no big deal. I only have one heat muff on one muffler and it will run you out of the plane if you open the vent wide open. Very satisfied customer. RV's are pretty loud inside as a rule so I think it is a good investment.
Almost forgot: Your friends can hear the WHINE much better with mufflers. :D

For six months I had one -7 with mufflers, one without, in my hangar, both having identical interiors. So I know.

The best part of the muffler system is the amount of cabin heat available if you use two valves through the firewall. You can endure a cold northern winter night; the standard muff would have you freeze to death.

The mufflers are a bit quieter, but not so much that you would even be tempted to dispense with the ANR headsets. They are considerably heavier than the straight pipes, and hundreds more expensive.

The muffler system has a joggle in each tail pipe that provides more cowl clearance than the simple bent tailpipe. Besides cowl clearance, I found routing hoses, tail pipe suspenders, controls, etc. easier around the port muffler.

My current project? Dual muff system in spite of living in the frigid north (Boise). Weight, cost, ANRs still required. I'll dress warmer. You pay your money and take your choice.

John Siebold

I have mine for 1,100 hrs. A few months ago I opened them up and they are still in perfect shape.

As said by others before me, my RV is a little quieter (comments from people on the ground) than the ones without. But, still very loud. I also use only one side for heating. It gave out enough heat for the -20 degree F that I flew in the winter up high. I actually could not figure out how to route the SCAT tube for the left side to the heat box. There is no room to do so.

I did nothing for heat barrier. So far I have not had any problem.

From my discussions with Craig, he said to remove the shroud from the unused muff and put a heat shield on instead. According to him that change will drop a little weight, The system is not intended to use one of the muffs for carb heat (unfortunately). So the standard Vans heat setup is still required.

It would seem I am still on the fence. It is looking like the only advantage is better cabin heat and a small decrease in noise at the cost of some weight. The airport I got my license at (TOA) has serious noise restrictions and I know a few planes that aren't allowed to fly there anymore. If the mufflers made a good 10+db drop it would seem worthwhile. That doesn't appear to be the case. On the more weight-limited RV-6A the basic system might be my best bet. I am a bit worried about aft CG (RV-7 tail) so a little added weight forward of the CG may be welcome.

As was mentioned, you pays your money and you takes your chances....I guess more thinking is in order.

Thanks,

Vetterman muffs

I installed them on our 9. My wife and I really enjoy the abundance of cabin heat during the winter. I plumbed them in parallel. We also enjoy the quiter cabin. We have about 120 hours on the mufflers with no issues so far.

Mufflers

I put the mufflers on and am very pleased with them. I have a his and hers cabin heat. One will provide plenty of heat but since my wife likes the cabin hotter than me she is free to run her side a little hotter.

Jay:)

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the difference between the Vetterman mufflers and the Van's cabin heat muffs?

Van's Cabin Heat Muff
cat-med_cabin-heat-muff.jpg

Vetterman Mufflers
H.jpg

The airport I got my license at (TOA) has serious noise restrictions and I know a few planes that aren't allowed to fly there anymore.

Ever considered taking off with less than full throttle? I effectively do that where I live (10,000' density altitude in the summer) and I do fine.

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the difference between the Vetterman mufflers and the Van's cabin heat muffs?

Mufflers muffle the noise and provide heat to the cabin. Heat muffs just make heat for the cabin. :) I believe the mufflers provide more heat than the heat muffs.

Bevan

Karen's only question when I broached the subject of building a -7 was "will it have a good heater?" I'm a few years from having to make a final decision, but I'll think I'll live with a little extra weight and go with the best heater.;)

That is a good point. My wife is also very cold-blooded.

Karen's only question when I broached the subject of building a -7 was "will it have a good heater?" I'm a few years from having to make a final decision, but I'll think I'll live with a little extra weight and go with the best heater.;)

I wonder if there is a difference in heat output from just a heat muff verses a muffler with a heat muff. I have heard some say a single heat muff doesn't put out enough heat in cold climates. On my RV-9A with mufflers and one heat muff I can't imaging needing more heat. I have flown in close to zero F temperatures and have never opened the heat control more than half way. My wife is very cold natured and gets plenty of heat.