bryanrene

I am considering an airplane that sustained a "minor" prop strike 150 hours ago. 3 Blade MT had 1 blade broken and 2 w/ nicks. Prop was rebuilt with new blades and seals. I understand what Lycoming recommends but my question is: Is there any less reason to tear down and inspect because it was a composite prop and no loss of RPM?

Odds are with composite prop that there will be no damage.

But, as they say "there are no guarantees in life" so, if you do not tear it down and inspect then you have absolutely no idea and are making what could be a pretty steep bet that all is well. Do you want to carry family/passengers, then they will be betting as well. I would tear it down.

Any and All prop strikes require teardown!

Per Lycoming, there are no minor prop strikes. Even if the flange dials out OK, there can still be damage to the rear of the crankshaft where the gear bolts on. This bolt and/or dowel pin is usually the first thing to fail.

If yes on teardown, What are we tallking in cost? I am guessing 3-5K, am I close?

Our price on a 4 cylinder is $6800, which includes tear down, mag particle and zyglo, balancing, 500 hour magneto inspection, paint, assembly, 1 hour dyno testing and crating. It also includes all mandatory replacement parts at access per SB240T. Does not include any hidden damage or corrosion.