Rick6a

Well Known Member
Governor Bracket Mounting Question

Trial fitting the MT governor to the recently delivered IO-360 engine, I note the stud pattern differs from the VA-183 INSTL drawing in that the stud pattern on the engine is generally diamond shaped and the drawing shows it to be generally square. Consequently, the VA-183 govenor cable bracket can only be oriented as shown in the photos. This is at variance with the bracket orientation as shown on the drawing. Is this correct or am I overlooking something?

engine031editvs8.jpg
engine029editul2.jpg

Last edited:
This looks correct like mine. Except the governor housing needs to be loosened and rotated about 180 degrees for the cable to pull on the arm the correct way.

Governor rotated 180 degrees

When you say rotate the governor housing, do you mean the entire prop governor? I am totaly out in left field here trying to install mine. The eyelet that holds the cable doesn't line up with the arm. Help if you can....

Rick, I have to say that I agree with Scott, I think you need to rotate the governor through 180 deg.

I puzzled a bit when I installed mine but I think it is meant to be like the first picture here on the Sept 18th entry. http://gikonfwf.blogspot.com/2007/09/p-mags.html#links

(I suggest you double click it so you can see the detail.) The picture is of the P-mags but you can see the MT governor and its orientation in the background.

Its an O-320 but I dont think that matters on this point.

The bracket alignement does not seem ideal ,but I have had a cable in to it and it worked OK.

When you say rotate the governor housing, do you mean the entire prop governor? I am totaly out in left field here trying to install mine. The eyelet that holds the cable doesn't line up with the arm. Help if you can....

No, not the entire governor. Cut the lock wire on the back, loosen the 6 or so screws a bit and the back plate will freely rotate. I then suggest bolting it to the engine (no need to tighten the bolts yet just hand tight), adjust the back plate until you like the alignment with the governor cable (ensure full fine is achievable), then tighten the screws so it doesn't move. Remove the governor, torque the screws and safety wire them.

Steve
RV7A

My original query was posted over a month ago, before the engine was hung and according to Van's the mounting backet is located correctly. I did have to rotate the governor lever arm approximately 180 degrees by loosening the screws, adjusting, and resafety wiring. The process is described in MT's instructions.

The only open issue I have...and will deal with shortly is the oil cooler hose routing. As you can see, the port on the engine is located behind the governor mounting bracket. Lycoming thoughtfully installed an elbow in the port and is oriented at approximately 7:00. I should have fitted that hose before I hung the engine. I do hope it won't be an issue now!