rzbill

Well Known Member
Hello Gents,
I'm looking for A&P type input on this problem. I purchased a new old stock MT prop governor from a fellow builder and now I have a problem I don't feel I can go to Van's with. I am trying to assemble the prop governor controls per the Vans documents that came with the cable bracket. The doc calls out the bolt orientation and washer sizes to allow proper range of motion and retention safety.

The pictures show my problem. I cannot insert the bolt in the plans specified direction. In order to do so:
1) The gov flange need to be relieved (cut) ARGHH!
or
2) The arm must come off, be assembled to the cable and then be reinstalled. This has 3 reassembly issues of indexing to spline, indexing to return spring and safety wireing the clamp screw. Not looking forward to doing that by feel.

Lastly...turn the bolt around. That doesn't feel right to me but I have not searched the 43.13 bible yet.

I have searched the forums and didn't see commentary on this particular problem so, I guess I have to be different :eek:

14699369944d2d04a936f5c.jpg

Last edited:
How it looked on our RV8

Hi Bill,

Looks like the simple solution is just to turn the bolt around. This is how it looked on our 8 (and we had an A&P/IA check it):

propgovernor03.jpg

The control arm can be taken off and replaced easily, which would permit the bolt to be inserted the way you want. A call to MT-USA might be a good idea here.

Last edited:
slide the arm aft just a little

I had the same problem, reorienting the bolt does not work either for interference with the gov. housing during actuator movement.
this is how I fixed it:
Remove the bolt holding the arm on the governor, slide the arm towards the end of the "gov. axle" but not so far as to remove it (indexing issue etc) slide your rod end bolt in place then slide the arm back.
Moving the arm aft a little is enough to clear the Gov. housing so the bolt can slide in place no need to completely remove things or grind stuff.

hope this helps

Marco

You may also need to change the orientation of the housing as well. This was part of the instruction with my MT governor and Vans confirmed it. It is by remove the screws that hold them in place but not remove the housing. Simply turn it to the correct orientation for the specific installation and put the screws back. Mine is mounted to the back of the engine and therefore I had to change the orientation. Also be prepared to reset the max stop as many have had to do that and it is not unusual. But that is after you are flying

Bolt can go in either way. Keep in mind that for all practical purposes you will never pull the prop control back all the way to the low pitch stop.

Thanks Gents

I'll take all the suggestions into account and get this sorted shortly.

The advice is appreciated.

Bolt on MT

I had the same issue and took a bit of thinking to fin the solution.

If you swing the arm counterclockwise the distance from housing to arm increases enough to get the bolt in. Also need to remove the stop on left side to get enough rotation.

Need to remove the bracket from the gov to get bolt in. I did this one and left bearing bolted in place. The cable can be threaded into the bearing at a later time when required.

Good luck

Having just got to this bit.

There are differences between the Jihostroj governors and the current Avia governors.

Without removing the arm - which I don't want to do - there is no way that the bolt will go in.

As on the other thread, I chose a different route.

I have reversed the cable bracket guide and will attach the rod end bearing on the outside of the arm.

I will try and upload a photo when I can.

bolt installation

Hi Bill,

Your picture in post # 1 shows that the bolt can NOT be installed with the governor arm at the high RPM (low pitch) stop.

Did you try installing the bolt with the arm at the low RPM (high pitch) stop?

The governor arm moves out of the housing as it is rotated to the low RPM stop.

Jim Ayers
PS The governor cable travel should allow the arm to reach the high RPM and low RPM stops. This is needed each time the propeller is cycled as part of the Mag check.
Otherwise, there can be a problem with RPM surging in flight.

Jim,

I believe there is a difference between the Jihostroj governors and the current Avia governors.

The older ones are asymmetric, the new ones are round........

Check the other post on this.

M

Bolt Installation

Jim,

I believe there is a difference between the Jihostroj governors and the current Avia governors.

The older ones are asymmetric, the new ones are round........

Check the other post on this.

M

What does the shape of the governor have to do with the shaft moving out of the housing with the rotation of the arm?

Either the arm moves away from the governor housing as the arm is rotated to low RPM (high pitch), or it doesn't.

If the arm moves away from the governor housing, then there will probably be room to install the bolt from the governor housing side.

If the bolt has to be installed from the outside, then perhaps a NAS1103 bolt could be used to maximize the bolt shank in the governor arm and minimum thread protrusion on the governor housing side.

Jim Ayers

What does the shape of the governor have to do with the shaft moving out of the housing with the rotation of the arm?

Either the arm moves away from the governor housing as the arm is rotated to low RPM (high pitch), or it doesn't.

If the arm moves away from the governor housing, then there will probably be room to install the bolt from the governor housing side.

If the bolt has to be installed from the outside, then perhaps a NAS1103 bolt could be used to maximize the bolt shank in the governor arm and minimum thread protrusion on the governor housing side.

Jim Ayers

He was thinking co-axial movement around the center of rotation - same as I was when I first read that. If there is fore/aft movement of the shaft (spiral rotation) then that's another story entirely.

Hi Bill,

Your picture in post # 1 shows that the bolt can NOT be installed with the governor arm at the high RPM (low pitch) stop.

Did you try installing the bolt with the arm at the low RPM (high pitch) stop?

The governor arm moves out of the housing as it is rotated to the low RPM stop.

Jim Ayers
PS The governor cable travel should allow the arm to reach the high RPM and low RPM stops. This is needed each time the propeller is cycled as part of the Mag check.
Otherwise, there can be a problem with RPM surging in flight.

Hi Jim,
My original post was over a year ago and I got mine together back then...HOWEVER, the way I did it is not something I want to repeat because it was a PITA. I'll try to remember your tip about the shaft and arm moving axially out of the housing the next time I am fooling with that connection.

Mike, I had to read Jims post twice to get what he was saying. Its not radial clearance due to non-circular housing. Rather, the shaft apparently moves axially out of the housing at the same time as the arm moves. Try it and see. I'd like to hear that this is "THE METHOD" :)