longline

Well Known Member
are used under the head of 12 point high strength bolts (MS 21250-060XX) that may be used on the gear legs in place of the NAS6606 bolts Vans supplies. If you are contemplating this modification I have a deal for you! I had to order a minimum of 100 of these critters when I procured fasteners to accomplish this mod. Anyone that wants a set of 4 will be welcome to them, just PM me. I think four of them can make the one ounce wt. limit for 49 cents...

These type washers are common on Blackhawk helicopters for high-strength bolts that are installed in a clamping state (e.g. rotor head). The bolts have a radius under the head for additional strength so these washers are necessary to avoid interference with the radius.

Installation in a shear state would not benefit, IMO, but the alternate bolts likely have a higher shear strength too.

Raymo

I agree that we probably do not need more shear strength in this location. I do, however, subscribe to the theory that the low profile high strength nuts that Vans provides are a bit lacking. The NAS6606-27 bolts are a bit short when you try to use the taller high strenght MS21250 nuts. These new nuts make the installation easier and stronger, and I decided to use the matching 12 point bolt when I replaced the original bolts. Just my read... and the offer for those chamfered washers stands.