Phil

Well Known Member
I searched the archives and got a few ideas, but I wanted to ask the jury too.

I'm going to be moving wings and a few other components in the next week or two. I've got access to a 26x8 trailer (open air) if I need it from a fellow EAA member.

Does anyone have photos of how they wrapped/secured their wings for transport? I'm collecting ideas....

Thanks,
Phil

Does anyone have photos of how they wrapped/secured their wings for transport? I'm collecting ideas....

Thanks,
Phil

Here's a photo on how we moved Geoff's wings about 10 miles to the airport. I was the brave soul driving Geoff's van behind the pickup hoping that the wings stayed put.

DSC07088.jpg

This actually worked quite well with the wings in a typical wing stand. I wouldn't drive normal freeway speeds. I don't recall what at what speed things started get more interesting.

Last edited:
I dont have the picture on my computer currently, but we used a flat bed trailer similar in size to yours. We used old couch cushions under the wings and blankets over top to protect the paint job form the tie down straps. To keep things in the comfort range, speeds didnt exceed 30 mph. Worked well!!!

The first long haul was in wing cradles. The second short trip (about 2 miles), years later, was on some foam mattresses, laying flat.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

My first move to the airport for storage was in a U-haul...the move back to the house for wing fitting was on a flatbed...

6-14-07-002w.jpg

6-14-07-003w.jpg

50mph was no problem, but I didn't want to see how they would react to anything faster.

I will chime in here on my picture that Bob posted. The wings were bolted down at the root and then bungied down as well to the wing rack. The wing stand was then held in the truck bed with tie downs holding it very secure. I moved my wings a couple times this way and it was very secure and safe if done correctly.
It was very easy to lift the entire wing rack and wings together into the truck. I was able to drive at normal highway speeds if desired.

Geoff