RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
Tomorrow, my wife and I sign the paperwork on our new house. Besides worrying about how to pay for it and all the "upgrades" my wife wants, I now need to think about moving my wings during construction. Fortunately, we are only moving across town, so my plan is to rent a u-haul with lots of furniture pads, and to bribe my best friend to help me move the kit and all the tools.

I just started the tanks and I haven't riveted the skins on yet. This might be somewhat of an open ended question, but is there anything that isn't obvious that I should think about or be concerned with for the move? I'm just thinking/planning ahead.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhh, Brad...

Sounds like the new house is gonna take ALOTTA time away from building!

:( Whoa, Nellie!

Houses are a huge vacuum for airplane time and money! I rehabbed mine BEFORE the project so the old lady wouldn't be HARPIN' on me while the plane is on the front burner!

Getting back to your question, well... I think you know the answers. Me, I would be most concerned with the re-erection of the jig. Make sure it all goes back up relatively the same way.

The moving process if done delicately should be invisible to the outcome.

Good luck in the new house!

Need pics of the workspace!!!

:D CJ

attach skins

I had a similar experience. my wings moved about 900 miles mid-build. don't know if this is an option for you, but the skins on mine were clecoed on. and the tanks were temporarily fastened in place. they looked almost like completed wings, were very rigid for moving around, and everything worked out well. in an unrelated story, today the wings were moved to long term storage (my bedroom). . . they now need a fuselage to which they can be attached.

Captain_John said:
Sounds like the new house is gonna take ALOTTA time away from building!
I know... I know... last week was a solid week of negotiations (on the house) and I didn't get a chance to touch the project. Ack! This is going to kill me, but somethings just have to be done. The new house has a nice sized detached 2-car garage. It is a huge improvement from our current situation. My wife is already asking me if i think there will be room for her car and the plane... I just answer, "We will just have to wait and see" ;)

Thanks for the tips guys.

Brad, I'm in the same situation. We are set to close on a new home the 3rd week i Feb. Meanwhile, the 7A is is storage at my mother-in-law's. I looked at bringing the gear, tires & brakes back, but deciede we had enough "Stuff" to move already. My main problem is that the new property doesn't have any place to build. I've got to build a shop.

Derrell.
7A finish
Alpharetta, GA

RV7Factory said:
I know... I know... last week was a solid week of negotiations (on the house) and I didn't get a chance to touch the project. Ack! This is going to kill me, but somethings just have to be done. The new house has a nice sized detached 2-car garage. It is a huge improvement from our current situation. My wife is already asking me if i think there will be room for her car and the plane... I just answer, "We will just have to wait and see" ;)

Thanks for the tips guys.

HA! I know what ya mean!

When my shop/garage was undewr construction, my wife asked how we could make it smaller (she didn't want it to dwarf the house). I said. "Leave your JEEP outside".

Moral of the story, my JEEP (Wrangler) is in the garage and hers (Grand Cherokee) is outside!!!

Play your options wisely!

;) CJ

Here's a pic of the new "factory"...

100_1244.jpg

Looks tiny doesn't it??? It's not! It has huge windows. I am 6'3" and I don't even come up to the top of the lower window pane. The door even looks out of proportion in this pic. The garage behind us has an apartment on top of... it would make a great workshop getaway.