scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
OK, not to start any rumors, but there may be an overseas move in my future. My wings are in the cradle, my fuselage is now on its gear (with the tail propped up). The engine is still bagged and boxed for long-term storage.

Question: Has anybody taken their kit (in this state of construction) through an international move? How did the movers fare with your project? Any tips to consider?

Then, looking down the road at a finished/flying airplane, do moving companies know how to ship the airplane back to the good old USA?

Then, looking down the road at a finished/flying airplane, do moving companies know how to ship the airplane back to the good old USA?
:eek:

Why ship a flying airplane. Just fly it back to the good o'l USA! It's a lot more fun :cool:

I'd love to fly it back...

...but we're talking 9 time zones', one ocean's, and three continents' distance. That sort of cross-country is not on my bucket list (at this time).

One of the RV-8 builder/owners asked earlier

I think it was Grant Jordon (maybe not). He was going to Korea. I advised against it but my perspective is dated by more than 50 years so I'm sure things are different now.

A neighbor of mine shipped a partially completed Pulsar (basically structurally complete with some systems installed). He is a retired mechanical engineer with a bachelors degree from the University of Arkansas and am masters degree from SMU. He packed it in an ocean going container and when I asked him later how it made the trip he said there was some damage but did not elaborate.

Bob Axsom

Lots

Hi

A lot have been shipped to the UK in containers without any problems.

If it were coming here you might want to find out if anyone else was hipping and had space in a container......... same goes for anywhere else I guess.

The only problem you might face is local taxes....... in the UK/Europe we have to pay VAT (value added tax), and import duty. You can get round import duty for aircraft parts. You would have to convince the tax man it was not going to have to stay here.

So, you would need to address this sort of issue for whatever country you were going to.

If on the other hand you were say coming into say an American base you could just stuff in into the back of a herk and keep and build it on the base, the tax man need never know.

Lets take this a bit further........ lets say you complete it...... where would it be registered, how would you get it signed off, especially if you were to fly it in the country you finished it in. I could advise if UK........but something you need to consider.

...but we're talking 9 time zones', one ocean's, and three continents' distance. That sort of cross-country is not on my bucket list (at this time).

From SPACEBALLS: "What's the matter Col Sanders, Chicken?"

Sorry, I love this quote and just couldn't resist finally getting a chance to use it. :rolleyes:

The only problem you might face is local taxes....... in the UK/Europe we have to pay VAT (value added tax), and import duty. You can get round import duty for aircraft parts. You would have to convince the tax man it was not going to have to stay here.

If you've owned something for > 6 months then usually no import duty or sales tax/VAT.

RVs go into a container without much trouble. Most shippers have no idea how to treat an airplane. You may have to build a frame from 2x4 around the wings and emp (could you leave the emp stateside?). Can you fill the fuselage with light but bulky stuff?

Pete

Options

Pete,
Those are really good tips, although I wouldn't want to leave the emp at home since I'd want to finish construction and fly. Filling the fuse makes good sense.

Craig,
I'll be looking more into professional shipping as I draw closer...that's IF I get stationed overseas (remember, I'm not starting any rumors here).