jthocker

Well Known Member
Well, the insurance company and I have finally settled on my tornado damaged plane. I need to retrieve it from American Aviation in Brooksville ,Fl.
They removed the wings and took it to their facility to provide the ins. Co. An estimate for repair. I will now be doing the repair, and need to get a Truck or truck and trailer to move it some 900 miles home. I usually move my plane via a trailer, but am wondering about a 24 ft moving truck, but not sure how to get it up into it. Looking for ideas.

Fork lift on site?

If there is a fork lift on site, try to find a set of fork extensions at a rental place, slide them over the forks, put a couple of pallets on the forks, airplane on the pallets, lift to height of truck, roll it in, drive to destination.

Or, back the truck into a ditch, get some 2x10's appropriate length, roll airplane into truck, drive (pull if ditch to deep) truck out, drive to destination.

Or, couple of 2x6 nailed together, placed under the spar, cable winch (or come-along) on each side tied to sufficient over head truss or rafter, lift airplane up, back truck to gear, untie, roll rest of way in, drive to destination.

Obviously there are many more ways to do it, all of these are simply suggestions, and are not necessarily the best way to do it, but all would be effective.

Advice worth exactly the price paid. ;)

Partain trucking

I'm not sure if they will move a wrecked aircraft, but their setup sounds like the best bet for you. Their trailer is large, low to the ground, and is setup specifically for moving aircraft. Also I'd be willing to bet their price would match or beat a rental truck price after fuel is taken into consideration. I had a great moving experience with them and would recommend partain to anyone.

I'm not sure if they will move a wrecked aircraft, but their setup sounds like the best bet for you. Their trailer is large, low to the ground, and is setup specifically for moving aircraft. Also I'd be willing to bet their price would match or beat a rental truck price after fuel is taken into consideration. I had a great moving experience with them and would recommend partain to anyone.

Ditto what he said.

24 ft truck

I inserted a couple of photos of the truck I rented to take my quickbuilt RV-6A from North Plains, Oregon to Laguna Hills, California on 11-11-96. Note that it has an included ramp in the rear of the truck. I used desk mover platforms with casters bought from one of the big Home Stores (I don't remember which one) pads, foam, blankets, etc. and all went well. The only problem that may exist depending on the condition of your plane is the landing gear width - if it is attached you may have to remove it or carefully insert the fuselage at an angle to get it in.

Bob Axsom

24fttruck.jpg

truckbed.jpg

Last edited:
This probably wasn't the smartest idea, but it worked. I had people watching the wheels while we pushed it in to make sure they didn't get too close to the edge of the boards. The nose wheel made this method difficult.

103.JPG

Mutha! Did they total it?

I just picked my mine up last week from Griffin, GA. Pulling a 28ft enclosed trailer with a Chevy 3500 Duramax, diesel was $700 round trip. :eek: I also had a nice rack to haul the wings with, so 24 ft is plenty but you might have to take the tail off. I removed mine with a sawzall. :) Everything worked out well but if I had to do it over, I would rent a small car one-way and drive down with your straps/tools/whatnot and rent a truck for the trip home. Budget is running some good deals now on truck rentals.

Last edited: