PIN 37

Well Known Member
If I might offer a piece of advice for builders, don't move your aircraft to your chosen airfield until you have done absolutely everything that you can do at home. If you move too early, as I did, it will slow your progress down something fierce. Even small jobs will take on a whole new dimension when you are away from familiar surroundings and a good many of the tools and bits and pieces that you have accumulated during your build. I speak from experience, look for every job you can before you move no matter how small the job may seem. All of this goes out the window, of-course, if your chosen airport is next door.:)

Last edited:
When I was researching my build, two of the most common comments I received from experienced builders seemed to be: do something every day - no matter how small a task, and what you stated. Thanks for the reminder, Phil.

If you move too early, as I did, it will slow your progress down something fierce. Even small jobs will take on a whole new dimension when you are away from familiar surroundings and a good many of the tools and bits and pieces that you have accumulated during your build.

Also need to be prepared for all the different distractions at the airport. At home you have plenty but they are typically other, not so exciting, chores. At the airport you have people stopping by to talk, planes taking off, others at the airport that need a hand, and other interesting stuff.

Lots of good with moving to the airport. Others always around to help hold, move, flip, install, etc. Also plenty of tools you can borrow that you never realized can save you lots of time. And a plus and minus is there are plenty of people giving advise, some good and some bad.

That's A Fact

When I bought my 9A project it had taken 5 years to get to 80%
being built at the airport which was 25 miles from the builders home.
I temp enclosed my carport to finish. I made it a law to do EVERYTHING
possible before moving to airport 9.5 miles away. One of the best moves
I have made in a long time. Plane was at home 20 months until the next
thing was install wings and tail. Plane has been at airport 2 months and
almost ready for AW inspection.
One big thing I have learned, set NO timelines, it will happen when it
happens. Tough for a type A personality. :eek:

If I might offer a piece of advice for builders, don't move your aircraft to your chosen airfield until you have done absolutely everything that you can do at home. If you move too early, as I did, it will slow your progress down something fierce. Even small jobs will take on a whole new dimension when you are away from familiar surroundings and a good many of the tools and bits and pieces that you have accumulated during your build. I speak from experience, look for ever job you can before you move no matter how small the job may seem. All of this goes out the window, of-course, if your chosen airport is next door.:)

Experienced builders have been telling others this for years, but it is very good advice that is worth repeating occasionally.