atreff

Well Known Member
Thursday night, sweeping up bits of tie-wraps and blue masking tape, I pushed the dirt tailwheel forward, and as I passed the broom around each wheel I stopped and stared at the cowl and prop. All the tools are put away, rolling tables pushed aside the fuselage stands free. The fluorescent glare is sparkling off fresh paint, which has become a backdrop for the deep metallic blue stripes and tail graphic.

The canopy is closed, and it really looks like it's ready to fly. My visualization felt so real as I imagined what she will look like on the first start of the engine. The groaning of the starter slowly moving the prop, then the first ignition strike which shakes the light airframe like a dog exiting the ocean. Maybe it doesn't start first try. Whine of the boost pump, hit the starter again. A pop, another big bang from those 10:1 compression pistions. This time I see the wingtips dip, rocking on the flexible main gear legs. A belch of smoke out the stacks. I imagine the heat under the top cowl. Oil streaks down the belly. Wind is blowing thru the open canopy. The Beast lives. It has awakened for the first time, and I'm The Master.

I notice I'm feeling giddy, but not the "xmas morning" kind. More like the feeling I get as I screw up the courage to launch my skiis off a cornice, or take the first step over the cliff edge to begin a rappel back down. The nervous elation of the unknown to come. I also feel a bond starting between this pile of parts and me, and I'm surprised. I sense a powerful personality coming thru this little hot rod.

She sits tall on her gear, the spinner tip is slightly above eye level. Her nose arrogantly points skyward and twin 2" stacks jab out the cowling stabbing in the opposite direction. The Beast continues to demand my attention, and I find it hard to turn away. Sure, I've felt this before, but it has always been cerebral/worry on my part- "What did I forget to rivet? Did I size that wire correctly? Dang-I forgot to deburr those holes before I dimpled them! Did I torque those bolts?". The voices over the last 6 years have been from me. Not this time. Tonight Lil' Snorkey (that's her name) is staring me down like a Doberman, daring me to turn away. In this moment it speaks its first words,

"It's about time, white boy! Strap in and push the starter! I don't know about you, but I'm ready. I want you to Do it Now!"

I will.

Stay tuned. We leave for the airport tomorrow.

my.php

Art Treff
Asheville NC
RV-8 N666AT
"Lil Snorkey"

I share your feelings

Big day Art. I moved mine last weekend. My thoughts were somewhat different than yours as mine were more associated with loading: oh man, don't scratch it now or roll it off the side, Driving: New kind of road rage, whoa around that left, slow down, speed up, get out of the way don't you see I'm hauling my airplane, I'm going as fast as I can!!, Unloading: Whoa, whoa, whoa.......I could go on:eek:

Wait until you put the wings on and drive home leaving your baby sitting there all by herself. Get home and turn the lights out in the shop.......kinda like turning off the front porch light the night you drop your first child off at college.....no need to leave that light on tonight.....ok, maybe not that bad but different:D

Loaded and ready to go last week:
movingsq2.jpg

I still feel sad every time I look in my empty shop even though I have been flying now for four months. I'm going to solve my problem real soon...

My 7 is done and I'm waiting for the DAR. He is trying to get here this week but if not it will be the week after thanksgiving. Oh well it will make me finish up all those little things that get put on the back burner when you start to fly. Unlike SCARD I have my next project coming in January. It's a Turbine Cubs Super Cub. I need a change of pace and fabric work is kinda a Zen experience. Don

The shop is dark, now I'll live at the hangar...........

Big day Art. I moved mine last weekend. My thoughts were somewhat different than yours as mine were more associated with loading: oh man, don't scratch it now or roll it off the side, Driving: New kind of road rage, whoa around that left, slow down, speed up, get out of the way don't you see I'm hauling my airplane, I'm going as fast as I can!!, Unloading: Whoa, whoa, whoa.......I could go on

Yeah, I did that too, as I followed the gent in the flatbed. I winched over each bump as I watched my pride and joy bounce on her tires....now the shop looks totally empty...and like a *******, I move all my tools. Repeat all my tools to my hanger....not even a screwdriver can be found. Doh! I see that this is going to be a common deal-Drat!~ left this at home. Shoot-left that at the hanger.

I scooted the wings down, tomorrow I'll get some help to mount them.

he he he

now if i could just give up hunting maybe i could finish my plane.....
not gonna do it.it'll happen soon enough....as long as we dont run out of av gas.:D

Enjoy the painting...

Hey, Art:

Why is there a turn signal attached to the starboard prop blade? Is that to keep traffic out of the way? :p

Thanks for helping me stay motivated. I just brought my fuselage back from the airport and rolled it into my garage/paint booth. My Christmas present this year will be giving my bird its last ride on a car hauler---back to the place where she will finally go airborne.

Good luck with the engine start, and keep us posted!

Scott Chastain
N898W
Painting
Merced, CA

Scott,
Even tho the trip was long and strange, I thoroughly enjoyeed the painting part. Really satisfying to say I did the whole thing myself......except for the panic calls in the middle of the night to friends like Danny King (to talk me off the ceiling.)
Art

More motivational pics:

pig039wk1.jpg

200708250837xm1.jpg

200708270850rg9.jpg

Hey, Art! Nice job. Yip, when I called Danny up a few weeks ago, I caught him at a Radio Controlled Aircraft meeting and gave him a hard time about it. I thought he was taking a step down or something.:eek:

Your airplane looks great. Have any neighbors? What did they have to say about the fumes? Whenever I open up my garage door and turn on the exhaust fans, I can almost hear the whole neighborhood saying, "Oh, sheesh, here he goes again, polluting the environment!" At any rate, you are right: this is a lot of fun, and although painting is very labor intensive, it seems to be the most engaging part of the whole project for me. There is so much learning involved in painting that I almost feel like I'm back in school or something! But nothing is sweeter than watching a scuffed-up piece of aluminum evolve into a gleaming thing of beauty. BTW, I like your gun setup. I'm using the Hobby Air system with the full mask, but the turbine system you're using is the cat's meow. Wish I could have afforded it at the time. The gravity-fed HVLP is hard to shoot in tight places.

Hey, I have two questions: First, did you apply any masking systems, and if so, could you tell me how you applied them? I'm referring to N-numbers, military markings or whatever. I need help here. I thought putting those masks on would be easy, and boy, was I wrong! The first one I used nearly ended up a disaster, but I was able to fix it.

Second, what's up with the 807 bulkhead on the turtledeck of your bird? Did you make a fastback/tilt-up canopy? I'm thinking, That can't be, because your roll bar still says Slider. Your forward turtledeck is shaped like a Rocket's.

Again, keep us posted on that engine start. I would like to learn about how you pre-oil, prime it up, etc.

Best Wishes,

Scott Chastain
N898W
Painting

...and the landing gear legs are straight out, instead of slanting back.

It looks like the canopy tips sideways.

Fastback it is with a sliding canopy

Scott,

Good observations. I worked on the fastback with Tom Clarks' guidance. He did the design, banged out the new bulkheads, and did the welding on the canopy bow. It was lowered approx 1" and canted forward approx 15 degrees. Had to do a custom canopy, but went for 1/4" thickness. I had to fab my own canopy frame as well as sliding and locking system.

The canopy skirts I did out of metal.

As far as the neighbors, well, no one is really on top of me, so the smell was not a concern, but just in case, I ducted all the fumes thru a single 20" x 20" port (made out of styrofoam batts) and placed a fine misting sprinker at the outlet so that any solids would be knocked down.

My stripes are vinyl which I had made by Aerographics in Colorado and I applied them. Most of the guys at the airport this week thought it was painted.

Have been torquing wing bolts today, but it's 32F and windy. Why couldn't I have done this in July?

Art

Looking for an 8 in the skies of Asheville

Art,

I've been following your progress and am looking forward to a first flight report.

Stan

Art,

You are almost there! Keep going buddy!

Had I known you were good at painting, I would have brought my -9 up to you. As it is, it looks like I'll have to pay someone to paint it for me. :(

thanks

Thanks to all for the great kudos. I'll keep you posted. I've been out of the country for the last week, and managed to catch a cold enroute. The plane sits with a mess of wires tangling out of the tip ribs and the wing roots. Once that's tydied up, I'll flush the fuel system and do the first run up.

More later. Hoping for a warm Dec......

Art in Asheville