flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
In the last few months I have left my towbar to gather cobwebs.
I have been gently pushing the tail down at the junction of the vertical and horizontal. It doesn't take much force on my 9A. I then simply sit on the horizontal and the plane feels like it is just about at the balance point... like a nice nose up landing. Walking backwards is then simple and turns are easy.
Is there a reason I should not use this method? I do have the antisplat reinforcement in the tail... but from the forces applied, I don't think I am applying any more than in-flight maneuvers would push on those surfaces.
If I am mistaken.... feel free to correct me with replies here. Have a great Sunday as well.

I don't think I am applying any more than in-flight maneuvers would push on those surfaces.

I disagree. You are applying unbalanced and concentrated force on a structure designed to have load applied evenly over the entire surface.

Practice pushing the plane back without a tow bar. You will soon get the hang of doing this without the nose wheel cocking over.

Carl

I disagree. You are applying unbalanced and concentrated force on a structure designed to have load applied evenly over the entire surface.

Practice pushing the plane back without a tow bar. You will soon get the hang of doing this without the nose wheel cocking over.

Carl

I have to push back after every flight and you will get good at it pretty quick. I made a towbar, but is easy enough that I don't bother getting it out of my trunk.

Larry