Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Just have to share....

N188PD (yup, it actually has an N-Number on the tail now!) took it's first ten-mile journey today, ona flatbed trailer, from the airplane factory at home to the hangar at the airport! With the help of six good friends, we loaded and transported in about two hours time, beating the heat of the Houston day by starting early.

I spent the afternoon organizing the boxes and boxes (big rubbermaid storage containers are great!) of parts and tools, plus reinstalling the tail, wheel pants, etc that had to be removed to get her out the door at home. Tomorrow, if I can find a couple of hangar rats, we'll try to hang the wings for the first time. I sure hope Van's sent me a matched set of fuselage and wings....

A few lessons learned in the move:

1) We used a trailer that measured 82" wide (between the side rails) and 16' long. With the width of the RV-8's wheels at 80", outside of axle nut to outside of axle nut, it just fit. We loaded it facing forward, with the main wheels up tight against the front rail of the trailer, and the tailwheel right at the back edge.

2) We tranpsorted with the tail off, and everything else on the fuselage installed, including complete firewall forward. It took about five pounds of downforce on the tailwheel to prevent it from trying to sit on the prop. Tie it down well!

3) I noticed after we had it on the trailer that with the vertical tail removed, the tailwheel spring was moving a lot. Then I realized that the three bottom bolts for the vertical tail actually hold the rear weldment of the tailwheel to the furthest aft bulkhead. This could be bad! So I reinstalled those bolts to stabilize the tailwheel. I think it might have moved and buckled the aft bulkhead if I hadn't.

4) I expected a slow procession to the airport, but the load rode so well, we drove normal speeds. We had the stub wooden shipping spars installed, and tied lines from those forwarrd, and used ratcheting straps aft a few feet to put things in tension. The tailwheel was tied with a big cargo strap to each side, and with one rope holding it down.

5) The trailer was a car transporter, and the loading ramps had crossbars that were too far apart for 5.00x5 tires. We had to cut out some plywood to fill them, or the plane would have gotten trapped. I was fortunate to have a friend who restores antique fire trucks, and his group had the trailer sittignin their warehouse.

6) If you're moving a plane in August in Houston, have plenty of cold drinks for the workers!

Paul Dye
RV-8 At the airport! :D

I Rank that Move Right up There with Deliveries to KSC

It's still several months until moving out to the pad and stacking for launch but it is a very big deal. Congratulations (for getting the shuttle back in space as well) and good luck with final assembly, checkout and flight.

Bob Axsom (STS-52, 59, 68, 87 and 99 payloads)

Moving day

Good for you, Paul! Thanks for the hints - I'm looking forward to that day on my project. Of course here, we'll need hot drinks for the workers, even in the summer. Boy I miss the Texas swelter!