RV6AussieNick

Well Known Member
Hi, I've just bought a RV6 that was damaged in a heavy landing, i have to move it 900km or 560miles to my home, the wings are off, eng is still on. Has anyone moved there RV, if so how did they do it, i'm looking at a car trailer or a small truck.

Cheers,

Nick..

Hi Nick,

My Dads Mustang II (Brisbane) was towed onto the back of a tilt tray backed up to a flat bed truck and wheeled on then secured. Wings were cradled and packed in foam and secured to the truck. It then went on a trek to Camden.

The tilt tray was employed because it was a little difficult to get a crane in their to lift it on.

Where is the 6 coming from?

Hi Madhun,

It's down in Dubbo, 10 hrs drive away, ive been looking at using a small 4.2m truck, removing the eng to make it shorter.. I can use a friends enclosed Dragonfly trailer, just have to remove the landing gear and slide it in on skate boards..

I've recovered a damaged RV-6 from a "flipped-over" landing. I used a 24' rent truck. We removed the wings and tail, but not the engine. Landing gear was bent, so we had to tie the wheels to 2X4s to slide them up the ramp. Secured the wings to the sides of the truck using foam mattress pads.

tilt bed car trailer works just fine

MikesRV4011.jpg

Thanks Mel, I looked into the trucks, unfortunately I need a truck licence for anything over 4.2m (14ft), Ive been looking at a car trailer as well, Brian the trailer in the photo, how long was that.. That is how I envisaged the transport with the wings secured on the side of the fuse. The RV6 I have to move doesn't have the Emp fitted, that got destroyed in the flip over..

Thanks The RV6 I have to move doesn't have the Emp fitted, that got destroyed in the flip over..

If you're talking a tail wheel -6, be advised that with the vertical Stabilizer removed, the rear part of the tail wheel mount is not secured to the aft-most bulkhead, and you can do some serious wrinkling of the fuselage structure if weight is resting on the tail wheel spring. Id keep the VS spar bolted on for transport, even if the surface is destroyed.