dweyant

Well Known Member
I need some help.

We just bought a house on an Airstrip! And after almost two weeks of packing moving etc. we are mostly done.

The only big thing left is moving the wings on our RV-9 build. The wings are done, minus fiberglass and the bottom skins and on a stand with wheels.

I have a friend with a 20 foot flat bed trailer that has offered to help. Any suggestions for the best way to secure and move the wings would be greatly appreciated!

-Dan

Rockwood9 recently moved his plane he may have good tips and suggestions.
Rocky how you hear?

Before paint I moved the wings on the stands with lots of ratchet straps and padding. I put a bolt through the spar on each side of the support.

After paint I was concerned about abrasion on the fresh paint from the stand so I used some cushions and mattress out of an old RV and an old foam mattress topper and laid em flat.

No damage either way...

Moving wings

Dan,

If your wings are in a cradle, just roll or lift/set the cradle onto the flatbed. Secure the wings to the cradle with bungee cords cushioned with pillows. Strap the cradle down snugly to the trailer with come-along ratchet straps. Drive slowly.

If no cradle, find a couple of twin mattresses. Build a mattress-wing sandwich (from bottom to top): Mattress, wing, mattress, wing. Strap them down with come-along ratchet straps cushioned with pillows.

Both methods worked for my two 20 mile relocations. As for my 2000 mile move, I called Partain Trading.

I used a stock trailer and mattresses to move my wings, wing stand sandwiched between mattresses and strapped to the side of the trailer.

Wings alone are a piece of cake. Bubble wrap, egg crate type foam, blankets, almost anything. You can lay them flat or in a stand. The wings are pretty stout. You just do not want them moving once you have them wrapped. Looks like Ron had a perfect set up and a great looking set of wings!

Vlad - good to hear from you! Im still stuck in Michigan and no plane with me!!

Congrats, where is it??

Photos ??

Thanks! We are quite excited. It is Cross Country Estates, just outside of Georgetown, TX. 07TS 2500 foot grass strip.

Everything is still a complete disaster with boxes, etc. but we are getting there.

Should be able to start moving into the hanger tomorrow evening. We had an epoxy flooring put down, and it needed 48 hours to cure before we put anything heavy on it.

I'll work on getting some picture this weekend.

If anyone would like to stop in and see the place (and my build) let me know I'd be happy to have you!

-Dan