jimgreen

Well Known Member
Just tried inserting the valve stem through the hole in the wheel.
The shape of the stem seems to prevent the tube lying snug against the wheel.
There will be a a space between tube and wheel where the stem joins the tube.
Have I got incompatible parts?
Wrongvalvestem.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the site address Vern. I couldn't find any info there to help with my query.
A call to Vans didn't produce much interest or help.
Still looks wrong to me. Tire pressure will stretch the rubber around the valve stem probably leading to premature failure.
Am I the only guy with this problem?

Still looks wrong to me. Tire pressure will stretch the rubber around the valve stem probably leading to premature failure.
Am I the only guy with this problem?

Tire pressure will cause the stem to rotate (lean) to the edge of the rim and make it hard to place a gauge on the stem.

It looks like you have a 6" tube in a 5" rim............

Van's reply re wrong inner tube.

For the archive, here is Van's reply re wrong tube.

"Those are the only tubes we have for the 5.00 x 5s (I presume they are
marked for 5.00x5s?) and they will work OK, if not ideally. When inflated the
tube will force the valve stem towards the wheel rim. We used get tubes with
valve stems with a double bend that avoided this problem, but Desser (the
tube mfr) tell us that those stems are no longer manufactured, and
Cleveland have not moved the hole in the wheel further inboard so it works
better with the available tubes. See attached pic.

Vans"
Innertubes2.jpg

I have the same problem today is there a solution since 2009 ? What tube can I buy for the Cleveland wheel ?
I received from Van's the Cleveland wheel with a not moved hole and the tubes with no extra bend.
No valid answer from Van's (Joe) neither from Parker ( Cleveland wheels), tanks for your help

Hi Bernard. I don't have any new info on this. I haven't flown yet so can't say much, but Van's seem unconcerned about the incompatible tube. It wasn't hard to stretch the tube to fit though I didn't like having to do it.
Good luck with your build.

Hi Jim
On the picture from Van's the good tube seems to be the Mc Creacy one, I have sent a mail to Spruce to know if the tube with double bend of the stem still exist.
I don't want to work with 8/32 washers between the tube and wheel or having the stem so that I can't place a gauge on the stem.
Can somebody help us ? Thanks