Davepar

Well Known Member
I think it was Roberta that mentioned something about mounting the canopy release mechanism for the tip-up in a vertical orientation. Instead of having the handle come out the middle of the instrument panel, it's at the bottom of the subpanel. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I can visualize how it would work, but would really like to see a picture of it. (And I'm already aware of the arguments for throwing out the release mechanism.)

Dave

Dave,
If you don't intend to use the canopy jettison feature in flight, it is fine to mount it as you say. I have done several this way. Generally I just extend the pivot shaft straight down behind the sub-panel so that you turn the handle to release the canopy hinges.
Mel...DAR

Actually, I think I said (or meant) the handle was horizontal, so it would not interfer with the radios. Sorry if I confused anyone. Sounds like a good idea to have it work from underneath.

Roberta

Thanks for the picture Sam. I was picturing something much more complicated. That looks fairly easy.

I was actually thinking the under-subpanel option could be reached in flight. Now that I think about it, you'd have to unbuckle to reach it--not a good idea, especially when you're theoretically ditching the canopy. Guess I need to re-think the in-flight jettison capability decision.

Dave

Better wear a chute on every flight...

Davepar said:
I was actually thinking the under-subpanel option could be reached in flight. Now that I think about it, you'd have to unbuckle to reach it--not a good idea, especially when you're theoretically ditching the canopy. Guess I need to re-think the in-flight jettison capability decision.

You gonna wear a chute on every flight? Your passenger as well? If you're not going to wear a chute consistently...all the time...then I wouldn't expect to extract any value from in-flight jettison capability! :cool:

Not trying to convince you either way on whether or not to install some sort of mechanism -- but be realistic about how useful it will be in flight.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

jettison the canopy jettison!

Mr. Dan surmised: Not trying to convince you either way on whether or not to install some sort of mechanism -- but be realistic about how useful it will be in flight.

Yep, if I was doing it over, there would be no canopy release stuff in my plane. By getting rid of the canopy release, not only do you save the hassle of building the mechanism, you can make use of the center of the panel for avionics.

I have not had a single instance of needing to remove the canopy on my plane for maintainance in nearly six years of flying, even during the course of extensive panel upgrades. And.........I am convinced it would be impossible to jettison the thing in flight. :eek:

Sam Buchanan

no release

After reviewing this issue for months before I needed to actually install it, I decided to go without the release mechanism; even though it would be useful for better access behind the panel, which should not be underrated. Even though the Tip Up gives better access than the slider, real work on the panel is limited unless you can remove the canopy completely. In fact, the more I think about it, it's not that hard to install and if I had to do it again, I might use it. The only reason being easier access to the panel.

In flight, I decided that it would have no benefit and in the event of a landing accident flip over, it would have some, but not much benefit. I am sure that my conclusions are similar to others who went without it. Read Dan Checkoway's analysis on his website. It helped me decide.

Disclaimer: I am a 1st time builder and far from an expert. I would also call Van's tech support and get their spin on this as well.

I just read Sam's new comment. I'm glad we have made this issue clear....:)

Last edited:
canopy release

I built the release mechanism, but shortened the handle to stick only thru the subpanel.

works fine.

haven't had any reason the take the canopy off yet.

JMHO

cary r

canopy release

just one other thing......

I replaced the two small steel tubes with a modified alum angle.

Its much easier to work with than the split ends on the tubes.

cary

panel access

If you are concerened about instrument panel access...

Although it may be a slightly more costly option, you can look at at the modular panel from Affordable Panels. that is what I am doing on my tip-up and am not installing any canopy release system. Even the frame to the modular panel is removable in my case so I will have unlimited access to the subpanel.

dan said:
You gonna wear a chute on every flight?

If that what it takes to make my wife happy, I will "wear" it on "every" flight. :rolleyes:

The only serious drawback is the space the mechanism takes up in and behind the panel. It seems like one of those things I'd rather have and never use, than the other way around.

Customizing this plane was fun at first, but now I'm looking forward to having all of the avionics, panel layout, interior color, etc. choices behind me.

Scott-- See my question on the Affordable Panel in this new thread--> http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=2449

Last edited:
Release on the Tip up

I think vertical or horizonal it the release could come in handy. I would not just jump out of an airplane either. But, just as in the accident that just happen with the RV-6A at Oshkosh... there were many people there to help him get out, lifting the tail etc... and it would require much less time removing the pilot and less damage to the plane... Just a thought... IMHO

What about a cable

What about a mad where you can use a Cable activated handle. It could be located anywhere you want?

Cheers George

PS put a safety wire or cover over it and may be some cool bright barber pole paint on the handle ala military fighter. Don't forget the big placard "Eject Canopy" :D Cool and impressive. If you have problems with your passengers you could put "Eject Passenger" on the placard to keep them in line. :eek:

Last edited: