Chino Tom

Well Known Member
Patron
Mounting the odyssey battery at an angle

I have decided to mount my odyssey battery on the firewall of my RV-8a.
I have read the pros and cons to this folly. Any reason I shouldn't mount it at a 30 deg angle. Other than looking a little silly, it makes a lot of sense for maximizing space and allowing me easy removal of the battery from the battery box supplied for the odyssey for the RV-7 by Vans. Pictures of your
install on the firewall using the odyssey box (not the modified Concorde battery box) would also be appreciated just in case this is a bad idea.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Last edited:
Captain_John said:
The Odyssey can be mounted in any orientation, even upside down!

:) CJ

Almost correct, Capt John. It can be mounted in any orientation, except inverted.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/documents/US-ODY-OM%20(2602-0232,%20Rev.5)_1206.pdf

I stand corrected!

Thank you for clarifying it!

I thought that I read someplace that it could be upside down.

...not that I can think of a reason for doing so!

:) CJ

Odyssey Battery on the firewall

After spending way to much time on this, here is the final result. Mounting the Odyssey battery at an angle just didn't look right. I mounted the battery
as far to the right as I could and still get the battery in and out of the box.

mounted at right angle

I have a christen inverted oil sysem and the collector is directly above where the battery normally mounts.

I mounted my battery sideways so I could easily slip the battery in and out without undoing the battery box or other items.

Battery is mounted on passenger side of firewall with terminals pointing to outside.

Another option.

File this is the ?Necessity is the mother of invention? folder.

Due to the configuration of my big wires and tach cable/sender (Van's tach), I could not get the battery out of the box. Access was great at first but as the build continued, I painted myself in a corner as far as removing the battery.

What I ended up doing was cutting the upper front half of the battery box out so that the battery does not have to come straight up to come out. Now I can tilt the battery as I lift it out which gives me the clearance I need. Good luck.

N131RV said:
I have a christen inverted oil sysem and the collector is directly above where the battery normally mounts.

I mounted my battery sideways so I could easily slip the battery in and out without undoing the battery box or other items.

Battery is mounted on passenger side of firewall with terminals pointing to outside.
Joe: How long have you had your sideways intallation, and are there any disadvantages or problems with it? Looks like the way to go for me on my built 6A.

The Odyssey battery is a STC replacement battery in the PA-18 Super Cub. The installation is laying on it's side under the pilot's seat. As was stated above, any installation except inverted will work.

Jim

A long time

rodeomanny said:
Joe: How long have you had your sideways intallation, and are there any disadvantages or problems with it? Looks like the way to go for me on my built 6A.

I hung the engine (with battery mounted) about three years ago. Been flying it since April.

I had a long conversation with Vans tech support about the mount and they all said, "put it where it's most convenient".

rodeomanny said:

I'm not Joe :) , but have been flying a "sideways" battery in my RV-6 for five years with no service problems related to the mounting orientation:

http://thervjournal.com/battery.htm

As others have stated, feel free to mount the battery any way but upside-down.