Ron B.

Well Known Member
I'm mounting the governor on my IO-390 (RV-14A) and I thought I needed to include a AN960 -516 and an MS35333-41 washer under the nut. The Hartzell governor manual says to allow at least one thread extending past the nut. If I install the above washers the stud ends up flush to the nut.
I had a look on Van's 360 degree view of their install and there appears to be only one washer. I assume they installed theirs with only the internal tooth lock washer and no flat washer.
Any insight as to the procedure of installing a prop. governor would be welcome.
Thanks Ron

I'd lost the flat washer to get the thread, or possibly put on a thin washer.

Washers and torque values

Hi Ron,

I was doing exactly the same thing today. The studs are not long enough for even a thin washer. I went with the star washer alone.

On another note, the instructions from Hartzell say to "torque to 18-20 foot pounds or the value given by engine or airframe manufacturer". The aircraft standard book lists the torque value for a 5/16 coarse thread as 80-90 inch pounds--which is 6-7 foot pounds. Pretty significant difference. I am scratching my head about how tight to torque them. I really don't want to pull the studs out of the case.

My engine is mounted and getting to those nuts is a real issue. I am torquing with a six inch box end wrench and hoping that I am getting them tight enough and not too tight. I can get to two of them with a torque wrench and a crows foot. Anyone with experience on this?

I had the same issue with my Aerosport Power IO-360 in my -8. I understand it's a fairly common problem.

Got new studs from Spruce. Vice grips to remove the old. The 2 nut technique to install the new ones.

I am scratching my head about how tight to torque them. I really don't want to pull the studs out of the case.

Anyone with experience on this?

After working for a long time on the airframe with AN bolts, you're brain is engrained with AN torque values.

When working on the Lycoming.....THROW THEM OUT.

Use the Lycoming document 1776, a portion of which is shown HERE

You will see that the 5/16 entries make sense now.