Louise Hose

Well Known Member
As Paul and I both have 396s with XM-weather, Paul built a mount for mine in the back of his RV-8. However, the XM antenna has been a continuing problem. We hadn't found the right solution and I swore last weekend that I would figure out a way to secure the antenna better than running it to the turtleback behind me. Well, the answer dropped into my lap at today's brunch run.

Paul, I have a project for us next weekend....... :)

IMG_1473.jpg

Note the antennas mounted on top.

IMG_1475.jpg

Looks like they have braced it in back.​

Ingenuity! --- I love it!

I am a recent builder (helping/apprentice/etc.) on an RV-10, and flying (loaned) an -8A, and have throughly enjoyed the Forums --- the ingenuity of the builders is just amazing --- great job on the 496 mounting!

Perhaps you need to give that brace some additional thought. In the event of a sudden deceleration and/or crumpling of the structure, it would appear that you've added a "spear" that might penetrate the front seatback and perhaps cause some significant spinal trauma.
Terry

Not mine!

The mount (and brace) are not my design (or on my plane), but perhaps the RV-8 owners will see these comments. Certainly something to think about. What I liked was the platform above the unit that provided a place for the antennae. Thanks.

Last edited:
Our solution for the backseat

Paul and I had the chance to work on mounting the Garmin 396 XM receiver in the back seat of the Val (RV-8) today. Since I (and the 2nd 396) only ride with him occasionally, be went with a very simple, Velcro solution.

IMG_1490.jpg

Tried it out on a trip to Mustang Beach today and it worked great. Cost of the mount? Maybe a buck.