tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I remember seeing a thread regarding the mounting locations of the ELT in an RV8, but I cannot locate that thread by using the search feature here.

I have seen several 8's here with the ELT mounted on the aft baggage compartment shelf. Before I run the wires there I wanted to check and see if there are any new ideas regarding the placement of the ELT in an 8A.

If you put in on the rear baggage shelf, do you put a stiffiner in the shelf?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

Mine is on the aft baggage shelf, and yes, I out a couple of stiffeners under the shelf to support it.

I have one of those huge ACK's....advanatge is it's inexpensive, and uses inexpensive batteries. I decided early on I'd be buying one of the newer generations in a couple of years anyway, so it will be replaced - but wanted the market to mature a little first.

To be honest, the aft shelf is a compromise, and I worry about hitting it when I occasionally throw stuff back there. When I have a smaller unit, I think I'll put it under the vertical tail.

Paul

Ironflight said:
Tony,

Mine is on the aft baggage shelf, and yes, I out a couple of stiffeners under the shelf to support it.

I have one of those huge ACK's....advanatge is it's inexpensive, and uses inexpensive batteries. I decided early on I'd be buying one of the newer generations in a couple of years anyway, so it will be replaced - but wanted the market to mature a little first.

To be honest, the aft shelf is a compromise, and I worry about hitting it when I occasionally throw stuff back there. When I have a smaller unit, I think I'll put it under the vertical tail.

Paul
It does seem that with all the concern about forward CG in the RV8 with heavy engines and props that moving the ELT to the tail area would help CG with very little weight penalty.

My old Piper Warrier had an access panel just forward of the horizontal and the ELT was mounted behind that.

Greg

elt mounting

Paul and Greg,

Thanks for the info. I actually have an 8A, and will be using a catto prop so I am not concerned about the CG. One of the reasons I like the aft baggage shelf is that it is relatively easy to get to and the AK 450 can be removed and used outside the aircraft, including its voice feature.

I have seen some projects where the builders made special doors in the floor to access the ELT. That is cool, but is more work that it is more work than I want to put into it.

Paul, how did you route the cable from the ELT unit to the remote module?

Tony

tonyjohnson said:
Paul, how did you route the cable from the ELT unit to the remote module?

Tony
Tony,

It just runs down under the baggage compartment shelf through a grommet (with the antenna cable) and joins the rest of the bundle of wires going forward. I mounted the remote on the little 45 degree angle portion of the 804 cover, just above the spar.

I agree that it is nice access to have it in the compartment if you ever needed to take it out after a crash. However, you could probably get the empennage fairing off if it was under the tail, and you really needed to.....(my Grumman had it right there).

Paul