Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm just about done with the rudder. I can't find any instructions about how to mount the rudder to the VS. Are there instructions for that latter? Or do I just sort of figure it out from the plans?

RE:VS to Rudder FIT

Michael

Drawings 6 and 7 give most if not all of the info needed. Check out (see note 1) near the bottom of the left side view of the rudder on DWG 7. Just above there is 1 1/16 call out for the rod end bearing. ......From there it is mate the rudder to the VS and check that all is well. Especially once you add the VS Tip and cut it to the 1/8 clearnce to the rudder R913.

Check this out as a great tool to put the rod end bearings on the Rudder and Elevators http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/odd-ends.html#bearing tool

I used them and they work great........Thanks Sam

I hope this helps

Frank @ SGU RV7A Last 1001 details

Last edited:
Michael,

You can mount it now but you will take it apart later when the time comes to put the VS on the fuselage.

Same goes for the elevators and the HS.

I had all that stuff hung from the ceiling, up out of the way from possible damage.

DWG 7 shows the dimensions for the three rod end bearing positions. All three dimensions are different. I set these in place without tightening the jam nuts and mounted the rudder on the VS, slipping the bolts into the holes without the nuts and washers. Make sure to have the rudder bottom in place so that you can assure it doesn't scrape severely or keep the rudder from its full range of motion. You will likely need to sand it down a little to get the rudder swinging the full range freely. Check the right and left swing to the stops and see whether the rudder is scrapping the aft edges of the VS skins anywhere along both sides of the rudder. If you have scrapping, you needs to adjust until the fit is right. This was a trail and error thing for me. I put the rudder on and off a dozen or more times, turning the appropriate bearing a half turn in or out to get the fit. Get the top and bottom bearings positioned then align the center one. The rudder should swing easily and freely. Once you have the fit you need, then tighted the jam nuts. Hope this helps!

tool for the job

Michael

Drawings 6 and 7 give most if not all of the info needed. Check out (see note 1) near the bottom of the left side view of the rudder on DWG 7. Just above there is 1 1/16 call out for the rod end bearing. ......From there it is mate the rudder to the VS and check that all is well. Especially once you add the VS Tip and cut it to the 1/8 clearnce to the rudder R913.

Check this out as a great tool to put the rod end bearings on the Rudder and Elevators http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/odd-ends.html#bearing tool

I used them and they work great........Thanks Sam

I hope this helps

Frank @ SGU RV7A Last 1001 details

I used the same tool as menyioned above. The only thing I needed to add to the tool was a hose clamp to help support the plastic when it cam time to twist the rod end bearings.