thinkn9a

Well Known Member
any recommendations on where and how to mount the ballast for the Duckworths HID lamps? Is the lamp too hot to mount the ballast directly on the bracket for the light? Some way to attach an angle on the lamp bracket and go from there?

HID ballast mount

I mounted my ballasts on the outer-most outboard wing rib. I think it allows for easiest access. I've see some mounted in the same location, but on the inboard side of this wing rib. IMHO mounting on the HID light bracket would be OK but a little difficult to get at (If ever required). As for how? Just attach nutplates to the surface using the ballast body as a template for screw locations. BTW, don't worry about heat given off by the HID's, they really run cool (compared to Halagen lights)

I mounted mine on the back of the support plate after fabricating a bracket. I also moved the light closer to one side of the outer bay so that there was extra room on the backing plate to mount the ballast behind. The other choice would have been the nearest rib, but i recall the shielded ballast to light cable not quite long enough.

HID lights

on our 7a, the wingtips are permanently attached. Has anyone been able to mount the HID ballast by just working through the aluminum light mount inserts? (the part behind the clear plastic lens/cover). Do you think it is possible?

Tried both ways

When I prepped the brackets for installation, I mounted the ballast on the light bracket. When I finally got around to actually installing the lights and connecting the wiring, I found that it was very difficult to plug the connector into the ballast. I suppose if I had oriented the ballast differently, they might have been easier to work with.

Rather then struggling with the plugs, I removed the ballasts from the bracket and installed them on the rib. I definitely prefer the serviceability of having the ballasts mounted on the outboard side of the ribs.

I converted my original Duckworks to HID, and did the full conversion through the hole in the leading edge. You shouldn't need to remove your permanent wingtips. I attached the ballast to the back of the bracket. It was quite straightforward and easy to follow their instructions.