nbachert

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm working on building the angle supports for the mounting case that comes with my GTN 650. However when the GPS is put into the mounting case it doesn't go in all the way because there is a screw in the way. It appears to be a locking device that moves when it is powered up...I'm just assuming, I don't have any experience with this stuff. Is this the case? I've searched in the two manuals I have and can't find anything on it. Secondly, if that is the case, when I mount the mounting case do I want to put it flush with the front or the back of the instrument panel. Thanks for any information you have.

Nick

That locking device is a cam that is driven by a socket headed cap screw that is behind the faceplate. On the faceplate look carefully for a hole. That is where you insert the Allen key to turn the screw that cams the lock mechanism.

Ok, found it thanks...however, I can't find the tool. Does it come with the GPS? I tried the allen wrenches I have but none of them fit that deep.

The tool does not come with it. Buy yourself a 5/32 T handle allen wrench. You will be need it for the other avionics as well.

For your other question, it depends on how thick your panel is (where to put the rack mount). Insert the unit all the way into the rack (you will need the long Allen wrench). Tighten snug, don't overdo it. Notice the front of the gps is larger than the hole in the panel. Wherever you place the rack, fore-aft, you want to be sure the box can go all the way in- the front overhang should not be stopped by the panel. For good looks most people like that gap to be small but you must have some gap.

I'm working on building the angle supports for the mounting case that comes with my GTN 650. However when the GPS is put into the mounting case it doesn't go in all the way because there is a screw in the way. It appears to be a locking device that moves when it is powered up...I'm just assuming, I don't have any experience with this stuff. Is this the case? I've searched in the two manuals I have and can't find anything on it. Secondly, if that is the case, when I mount the mounting case do I want to put it flush with the front or the back of the instrument panel. Thanks for any information you have.

Nick

Hello Nick,

This is the guidance in the installation manual.

The GTN unit is installed in the rack by sliding it straight in until it stops, about 3/8 inch short of the final position. A 3/32-inch hex drive tool is then inserted into the access hole at the bottom of the unit face. Rotate the hex tool clockwise while pressing on the left side of the bezel until the unit is firmly seated in the rack.

RC hobby stores normally carry a long 3/32" hex tool that does the trick. I have carried one under the seat cushion in my plane for 15 years.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited: