pilot28906

Well Known Member
I have the Dynon Pitot and the Safeair mount but need to know how to secure the pitot to the mount. There is no holes in the mount or pitot and there is no instructions with the pitot. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I drilled and tapped mine, 4 places 6-32 panhead screws.

RV-7build041-1.jpg

Last edited:
Drill them where there is some extra material on the pitot head. I had to use a bit of aluminum tape around the pitot head to get a nice tight fit against the Safeair mast. Tap for screws. It would be difficult to countersink here, so I used pan heads.

837825414_rAkmY-M-1.jpg

John, Bill:

I used a Gretz mount with my Dynon pitot (wanted the chrome finish), but the instructions pretty much say what Brian and Bruce said above.

pitotandmast.jpg

The Gretz mount comes with the holes already in the mount, so it was just a matter of match drilling. If the SafeAir mast has no holes, just watch out for the aluminum lines inside the pitot tube when ya drill...that was the biggest caveat in the instructions (not to drill into the pitot or AOA lines inside the pitot tube). It was mostly a matter of not going too deep.

I looked on their site to see if they have downloadable instructions, but couldn't fine them. Pretty straight forward though.

Happy airspeeding!

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks for the info. Keeping the drill bit off the lines seems to be the critical part. I sure would have paid a few $ more for them to have been done at the factory.:D

John, it's not hard. use a #40 to drill through the mount and only a tiny bit into the probe to mark it. Then remove the probe, put it in a padded vise, drill to size while watching for clearance with the tubes. The tubes are able to move a bit. Next up tap 6-32. then go back and drill the mount for clearance. Shouldn't take more than 30minutes including coffee

The reason they don't drill em for you is that they need to match the mount holes....

Like the others say above, just mark the mount where the thick part of the pitot is and drill. Put some tape on your bit to make sure you don't go too deep and all will be well.

Works great!

Thanks for the info. Keeping the drill bit off the lines seems to be the critical part. I sure would have paid a few $ more for them to have been done at the factory.:D

Drill stops

I've used these in so many places I can't count...anywhere you want to protect what's behind your workpiece...

61.jpg

Avery has them, so do many other places.