riobison

Well Known Member
I wish to install an AOA indicator in my RV4.With the limited panel space and trying to keep things simple.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whose system to buy and a way to mount the indicator in, on or around my panel with having to tear the panel apart and cutting holes in it.

Of course, I want it to look like a neat and professional install.

Pictures would help

Thanks

Tim

Dynon's audio is great, but that means that you have to do some panel work to install an EFIS. I installed the AFS AOA Pro last fall in our -8 and put the display on the glareshield and absolutely love it there. You'll have less panel surgery to do with a glareshield mount, generally speaking.

RV-4 AOA

Tim,

I think the previous posts missed the fact that you said you have an RV-4 which has NO GLARESHIELD. AFS makes a really nice AOA system that would probably work best for you . Sport or Pro depending on your budget. Minimal panel modification.

Oly

Yes, there is no glare shield. I do have space to the left of the ASI and just above my Com that I could mount it on the panel and drill a hole to pass the wires. If it stuck out no more than 1/2" it would probably pass as being acceptable. But any further than that it would look like you know what.

Another option is on the left side of the canopy onto the frame of the canopy.

There is not a lot of room and the other option is to redo the panel and go with a Glass Cockpit. But if I go that route than I would need to keep the plane and that means moving the seat back another inch or 1 1/2" then there is the roll bar that would need to be moved and then beefing up the support structure and so on.

Decisions........

Of course maybe taking the panel off to cut that hole to make it fit would not be that bad a deal if I was too bite the bullet and just do it. Sometimes we waste more time procastering over the simplest of projects.

AOA Sport

I just put an AFS AOA Sport in my Rocket panel. Panel was complete and mounted before I decided to put this in. I put this in without removing the panel using only a drill, file, and hack saw blade. Mounts flush with the panel with an allen head screw top and bottom that stick out ~1/8 - 1/4".

Mark

I have just moved my RV4 into Oliver and I will be moving my 5th wheel out there next week. I see that your not that far away so maybe we can hook up and I could take a look at what you have done? I should be in Vernon for the Rust Remover as well on the 4th.

Tim

Come on by

Sure, come on by. I am home most days (unless I am golfing or flying), maybe come by when you bring your trailer out if you like. Not much diff in distance to go south at Hwy 97B versus Hwy 97A, and a lot less tight corners. We are just off Hwy 97B. Give me a call for directions at 250 833 fifteen zero one.

Not planning to be at the Vernon rust remover but could change my mind.

Beautiful Rocket, impressive panel and incredible

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the tour. Beautiful Rocket, impressive panel and incredible workman ship. As well, I'm looking forward to seeing your 1st flight.

If you need a hand getting it to the airport, let me know and I can swing by and give you a hand.

Regards

Tim