JDanno

Well Known Member
I'm wondering if the AHRS (in this case from GRT) could be mounted in the overhead console (Aerosport product) instead of in the back where it seems a lot of folks are mounting them? The advantage as I see it is that there isn't much metal up there to cause any interference. What do the "gurus" think about this? Thanks!! Dan

I have the same question but with a Skyview ADHRS instead...

My plan is so far to mount it on a hard plastic shelf in front of the instrument panel on my RV-4...

Anyone see a potential problem with this set up???

Mr Dynon ..are you there??

Bruno
[email protected]

I'm wondering if the AHRS (in this case from GRT) could be mounted in the overhead console (Aerosport product) instead of in the back where it seems a lot of folks are mounting them? The advantage as I see it is that there isn't much metal up there to cause any interference. What do the "gurus" think about this? Thanks!! Dan

What are you working on Dan - a -10? If therei s room in the overhead, I'd think that the AHRS might work - but it is maybe 3-4 inches tall you know...or are you talking about the magnetometer?

You can go to Dynons website and download the installation manuals for their products. There instructions are pretty specific to maintain a 2' distance from any magnetic steel, ect. I don't know how you will be able to do that anywhere near the IP.:confused:

What are you working on Dan - a -10? If therei s room in the overhead, I'd think that the AHRS might work - but it is maybe 3-4 inches tall you know...or are you talking about the magnetometer?

I'm building a -10 and would like to mount the mag and the AHRS in the over head. What's the size of the mag? Anything in the back tunnel has to compete with a lot of stuff for space and clearance.

I am not sure exactly where the "overhead console" is but if my guess is correct, then this is pretty much where I have installed my dual AHAR, but the magnetometers are in the back on top behind the baggage compartment. Where ever you put them, beside the usual factors and requirements, also make sure you can get to it with relative ease and be able to pull it out if you need to. You never know when it needs maintenance.

Don't think so...

I have one of the old Accuracy Avionics overhead consoles and there's no way a GRT AHRS would fit without modifying it. My guess is you'd have the same problem with an Aerosport OH console (pictured below) as well. The console is only about 2", maybe 2.5" deep and the GRT AHRS is 3.5" tall. So, bottom line is it could be done, but I don't see any benefit--way easier just to mount it either behind the instrument panel or in the tailcone. YMMV...

I am not sure exactly where the "overhead console" is...

It's mounted to the underside of the cabin cover roof and runs the length of the cabin from the baggage bulkhead to the windscreen.

overhead1.JPG

Last edited:
I'm wondering why you'd go through all the work to mouth the box up there when it fits under the panel so easily and nicely? The GRT and Garmin boxes both fit well and work well in that area. Othrewise back by the battery is also an easy spot...

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Mounting ADHRS

Hi 9GT
I've got the info here at home but I haven't really gone thru it just yet being to busy with other rebuilding stuff...

I guess I will be mounting the ADHRS in the tail cone where the BMA used to be after all..I was just inquiring on the possibilities.

I will call Stein and get the hardware required...

Cheers

Bruno

Get the GRT AHRS mount from Van's

It installs opposite from the pitch servo or slightly aft and left of battery. I purchased harness from GRT. Everything else from SteinAir. You'll get great customer service from both.

I fabricated a three piece mount from .040" that attaches behind F-1007 bulkhead to stiffeners approximately 4" from top of tailcone. This keeps your magnetometers away from rear seat belt cables/hardware, battery cables/contactor, strobe power supply, etc.

If you install it overhead it would have to be over rear seat cross brace or baggage area to stay away from door hinges and to provide head room. Especially if you went with dual ahrs. Check the GRT site for dimensions of ahrs and magnetometer.