larryj

Well Known Member
Directing this question primarily to tandem aircraft builders and drivers; where are you finding the most appropriate locations and methods to mount the AHRS module and Magnetometer module in your aircraft ??
I am fitting a Garmin G500/600 in a Harmon Rocket. The AHRS module could be fitted under the floor in the cockpit but there are wire runs and the strobe power supply there already - I'm thinking in the crown of the turtledeck just behind the PAX's head would be best. Reading through the Garmin literature it is going to be difficult at best to meet the criteria for locating the Magnetometer. I'm guessing outboard in the wing is the only real option; but then what does one do about wingtip strobes?? What experience and expertise is out there ?? (this is not mine :eek:)

My GRT Sport has an internal AHRS so it lives in the panel. The wingtip position worked great for the magnetometer. I have it mounted on the end rib rearward of the main spar. The nearest wires run about a foot away; strobe bulb and the two 1/2 amp circuits (in twisted pairs) for LED nav and taxi light power supplies. It calibrated fine and doesn't swing with lights running.