comfortcat

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm interested in seeing how folks have mounted tablets to their panels.

I'm using Dynon as the primary and plan to add a tablet (7") to the right side of the panel for the secondary/backup

Not an issue of "should I use a tablet" or 'Which tablet is better" anymore, but rather how can I attach a table to the panel.

I believe I want it on the panel, not in the panel (when upgrades are ready) so a 7" hole is not what I have in mind. True?

Ships power plug in. No wired eternal antenna. Not required anymore, even for AHRS?

Pictures?

advTHANKSance

CC

Easy

just put a 5" x 5" piece of alum sheet on top of panel, with 2 strips of 1/2" wide spacers under them, I used .025. This can then be used as a receiver to slip your tablet mount in or out. Your tablet mount will have angles formed on both sides and bottom to clasp the tablet. Bend these big enough to allow use of rubber sheet so that the tablet never touches the alum metal. The top of the tablet mount is bent 90 degrees so that it slips under the receiver. Cut out part of the bottom center to bend toward panel and gets a piece of hard foam to rest against the panel. Mine hits the fuel gauge. If I need the tablet out of the way it slides out in a second. Will work on getting a pic for you.
I like my 7 inch android. $200 Samsung.

Last edited:
RAM MOunts

I have no pics for you but to mount my Ipad Mini I used:

RAM Tab Dock Holder with power cord to 2.1 amp Cig lighter USB adapater

Two extension arms (one 3 inch, and one 2 inch)

A RAM Roto View adapter plate (easy to go from portrait to landscape orientation)

One inch diameter ball mount attached where my removable panel meets the fixed portion

Double ball connector for the two extension arms.

Go to http://www.rammount.com/Products/AviationMounts/tabid/108/Default.aspx#/ and use the selection tool to get started.

Don

pics

G0010806.JPG

IMG_6555.JPG

Here Is My Setup.

I used Ram Mounts on the Ipad on the right. It sticks out from the panel a little and angles towards me.

panel.jpg

If I were to mount a tablet as a primary display on a VFR airplane I would work up a solution that was a thin as possible (aka as close to the plane of the panel as possible) while accommodating some amount of tilt to help mitigate glare and reflections. For a tandem, there is less need for horizontal pan.

I'd start with a design that would resemble a mini flat-screen mount.

I'd likely do something temporary until I figured out if the tilt angle would be fixed or needed to be variable.

AHRS "wiring"

No wiring required for AHRS uses WiFi to connect. But there are two AHRS models by Levil. One has air data capability (pitot & static) the other doesn't.
The one I have for sale is the air data model. New was about $1100 I want $695 free shipping. Sold airplane with Dynon put back in so I don't need.
$100 more for XGPS150 gps talks with Bluetooth. One flight for each. In original boxes.

I'm interested in seeing how folks have mounted tablets to their panels.

I'm using Dynon as the primary and plan to add a tablet (7") to the right side of the panel for the secondary/backup

That sounds like what I did: single Dynon 10-inch SkyView and a 7-inch Android tablet on the right side of the panel with a gimbal mount.

It would look a lot better if my homemade fiberglass tablet holder was painted gray instead of white :)

--
Joe

I believe I want it on the panel, not in the panel (when upgrades are ready) so a 7" hole is not what I have in mind. True?
It sounds like you want it flat on the panel. I would consider just using an OtterBox-type case screwed to the panel with countersunk screws. Then you could just pop the tablet in and out as needed. The only disadvantage is that you'd maybe have 4 screw holes in your panel if you change your mind later.

I've thought about mounting mine on a ram mount somewhere, but it just seems to make the already-small RV cockpit look even smaller and more crowded. And, in the case of emergency, they are more likely to get tangled in cords or hurt you. So far I just keep it in between the seats and pull it out if I really need it.

I remember a photo of a full-size iPad that was mounted under the panel of an RV-3 or -4 on a tray with slides, so that it could slide out for use, or in to get it out of the way.

Not exactly what you wanted but a reasonable approach.

Dave
RV-3B

In case it´s an option to mount it under the panel here is what I did:
I made a fold-out tray which can be used for other things too but is optimized for my Nexus 7. When not in use it can be folded below the panel out of the way (without the Nexus). The angle can be adjusted, also some fore and aft movement is built in. No modification to the airplane, used the existing fasteners for the fwd and aft engine control brackets. I have an additional 12V socket in the subpanel.

I would like to see the sliding tray thing on the RV3 or -4.

Last edited:
Emergency attitude!

With the tablet down under the panel/throttle quadrant...

With new AHRS bluetooth devices, the tablet will make a GREAT backup attitude indicator. I'm not sure I'd want my head down in the clouds trying to keep the plane straight and level to make a 180 turn.

I've come to believe the tablet will make the best backup instrument for small GA aircraft. In this case, the table's place is in the panel. And replaceable every three to 5 years. :eek:

CC

I have no intention for the Nexus below the panel as an attitude backup, more for navigation and other things which the avionics don?t offer. I still have a mechanical turn & bank indicator as a backup which I trust more than untested equipment.
Yes head down and to the right in clouds is asking for vertigo.

Tight to the panel mount wanted

I have been watching threads like these for best way to temporarily mount an IPad or similar device. Lots of ideas for sure but no holy grail so far. I too have the panel space for a tight to the panel mount to give that almost built in look.

So far wouldn't just plain Velcro strips on the panel and backside of the tablet work just as well compared to the more involved mounts? Would like to see the Ram or Airgizmo engineers come up with a tight to the panel mount that is still adaptable for the day when you have to update to a different size.

Jim
RV9a
Phase1