Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
The airplane in question is an RV-9A, but the problem is much the same for any of the two seat, side by side RVs.

I'm looking to mount a VIRB in the cockpit with a good view of the left side of the panel and also outside over the nose. Nobody will be in the left seat while I'm recording, so this is attempting to be a pilot's eye view. The ideal position appears to be (roughly) aligned with the top of the panel but a foot or so back.

Mounting between the seats on the brace across the fuselage doesn't work, as the instrument panel is too small in the image. Besides, I need a pilot's eye view.

Thanks!

Ed

I'm unfamiliar with the RV-9 but my Lancair 235 has a "rollover" structure just behind the pilot/passengers heads. I mounted my Garmin Virb to the back of that using an angle bracket. The camera hangs down and is roughly 4" left of centerline at my eye level. It has a clear view of the entire panel in Ultra-Zoom mode, as well as a view out the front. The view outside is slightly obstructed by the glareshield and the cowling, which is higher in the middle. Due to the flimsy nature of the Virb mounting system, I had to add a diagonal brace to the side of the camera mount to keep it from vibrating. I posted a short video clip over on the "Coming to Asheville" topic taken from that camera if you want to see how it looks. What the heck, here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6zcfhmrh3irdk2/2017-03-09 TURBULENCE.mp4?dl=0

You'd have to see how the view works, but we routinely velcroed a GoPro to the inside of the Subsonex canopy when flying that bird, just above the pilot's head, and captured good, focused views of both the instrument panel and the out the windshield view. You might need a small wedge to adjust the aim.

The suction cup that comes with the Virb works pretty well, too.

Agreed -- but it's just a tiny bit too big to fit on the flat plate between the pilots' shoulders, which is a location I'd like for other recordings. The adhesive mount might get pressed into service there.

I'm looking forward to the day when I assign a dedicated mount for my Garmin Virb on my seat back brace, providing an over-the-right-shoulder view of the panel and canopy view.

diagonal brace

Here's how I mounted mine with the diagonal brace for vibration:

q3BnsV.jpg