Scott Will

Well Known Member
So my basic question is - is it wise to mount the tail and wings after the engine is on my -7A?

My build partner think so but I keep telling him most everyone attaches them before the engine.

If we go ahead and put the plane on its gear with the engine on, can we get the plane level... or will we need to jack up or lower the nose? Has anyone done it in this order?

Either way...

Scott,

I can't see any reason why you can't do it in either order. I mounted my tail early on, with my QB fuselage carefully levelled, then removed it for storage. I did the engine next, becasue I was building in my garage, couldn't fit the wings on there, and wanted to get all of the integration work done. The wings and fuselage never met until everything was at the airport, and it was easy to level things for the fitting.

IMHO, you can do it any way that you need to.

Paul

I agree that any order will work OK.
On my -6, I mounted the engine and did all of the fuselage work prior to fitting the tail and wings. It is much easier to get in and out of the fuse and over the sides with out the wings. (Of course, once you mount the wings, you can take them off, although this is a little more problematic with the A models if you want to keep it on the gear.)
Leveling the plane while on the gear is no problem at all. I made a wooden support with a hole in it that held the tail wheel axle bolt. Just make sure you have enough weight on the support to keep the plane from getting too nose heavy. It's also easier to move around on the gear.
Good luck.