yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
It appears that there are now one FAA documented "Accident" and one "Incident" due to or related to, the canopy opening on takeoff. There are MANY reported incidents of the canopy opening in flight here on the forum and even in a Kitplanes magazine story. The canopy opening in flight is a non-event, albeit a "What the....!" one. Happened to me on my third test flight and I slowed enough to "half-latch" the canopy and proceded to the nearest airport at about 60 knots.

My "Incident" was on takeoff---- lifted off--- lots of wind and noise--BANG!!-- and we're flying. Just that fast! Lots of back force required but as soon as I's cleared the substantial dike at the end of the runway (it's next to a fairly large river) I reduced power, got the canopy half-latched and climbed (SLOWLY!) to altitude and checked the airplane out, the proceded to my home airport where I discovered the nose wheel was back at the3 departure point.

Could have been worse-- prop blades lost about 1/16 inch off the tips but didn't break. Broken prop would have made clearing the dike problematic -- one gut was killed hitting it a few years ago. Just cost me over a month down time (still waiting for prop) and a couple of weeks of work. And a check ride with the FAA. Can't say for sure the latch was fully locked but it was tight enough to keep the canopy from rattling during runup-- in BOTH my cases. I've had rotator cuff surgery and it takes both hands to latch/unlatch the canopy. AND I installed a new nylon (?) piece last year because thew old one looked worn.

I believe (NO, I'm NOT going to flight test the theory) that with full power, trimmed for takeoff, and 50-60 knots airspeed and the rear end of the canopy up 6-10 inched the disturbed airflow over the fuselage results in a loss of downforce by the tail and a pitch down. If you have altitude, it's not a problem, but if not---?? BTW, Van's says the canopy warning system works only with the Skyview-- it's not functional for those of us with a D180. THERE HAS to be a better latch system!

Wayne 120241/N143WM 355 hours in the 12

If you read the details of the Kitplanes story, it is clearly explained that the latch on the airplane in that article wasn't installed per the plans and never had a chance of working properly. That was a direct cause of the incident. The person doing the flight testing (and author of the article), had prior experience with RV's, but not an RV-12, so he did not detect the error during
his pre-flight inspection.

When the canopy latch has been installed per plans, it is a very simple process to visually confirm whether it is properly latched or not before executing a take-off.... it is 10 inches from the pilots head... requires turning head to the right and confirming it appears to be in the fully latched position.

I am not aware of a single incident (other than the RV-12 in the Kitplanes story which had a latch handle that was installed backwards) where someone claims that they know for a fact that the canopy was fully latched before take-off, but it became unlatched in flight.

Design of a canopy latch warning indicator for D-180 equipped RV-12's is being looked at.

In the mean time, I recommend people use a check list, and turn their head and confirm that the canopy appears to be fully latched before take-off.

I will be the first

to purchase some sort of canopy warning system for the D180 equipped -12. I cannot (as said) say the canopy was fully latched, but it WAS latched enough to not give any indication during engine run-up or full-power ground roll.

Any possibility of side rail latches which would also keep the canopy from "bulging" in flight?

I know no system is "idiot-proof" (I'm an example) but would really like to see something different in a latch. For us old guys this one is a bit hard to do.

Wayne

For us old guys this one is a bit hard to do.
I very much preferred the latch style of the RV-6, which was a lever mounted on the left side rail. I can see where it would have added cost and complexity to the build (much like camlocks on the cowls instead of hinge pins - another improvement I would be in favor of) but it was a lot easier to use.

I did spend the better part of half a day during my build, to tweak the latching system multiple time to get it to work smoothly. I had to file on the plastic parts to get it to engage properly. Not much mind you, just the normal building and fitting stuff. I do think it's possible to turn the latch and not get it fully engaged although I can't say that it would fully disengage in flight that way. I like the simplicity of the current design but my three shoulder surgeries does make it difficult to reach.

Last edited:
Van's can't make everything idiot proof. Make a check list and use it!

Confession.... I have departed with the canopy unlatched. The lower part caught the rollbar and held in place. I flew the pattern... Landed and latched. I didn't try to fiddle with it in flight, it was not going anywhere. It's easy to miss. Just fly the airplane....

Van's can't make everything idiot proof. Make a check list and use it!

I was about to take off and was going down my check list to seat belt, I forgot to put on my seat belt, thank you check list....:cool:

Not sure how you would improve it. It latches firmly, does not rattle or vibrate. Just needs to be latched. I am one of those that found mine unlatched just before take off using my checklist. Although my checklist caught it, I thought it was already latched. I suspect the canopy latch failure was just pilot error but only an opinion.

Pilot Error it was

I've never said it was fully latched and don't really know. I do suspect that it was only partly engaged-- shoulder problem-- and told the FAA inspector that was most like the cause. Partially latched, enough to keep the canopy from rattling and propwash coming in, but popped open with increasing air loads. What I would like to see, regardless of additional weight, is a latch that's easier to use for movement-challenged pilots and also has a more positive engagement. Don't have a design but will look at RV-6 style.

Not blaming Van's in any way but looking for something better.

Wayne