blahphish

Well Known Member
What is your most embarrassing issue you have called Vans support line about? I'm sure Gus and Ken have had a couple good laughs over some of the things people ask..I hate to admit it but I've given them some good ones to laugh about. Next time I call I am going to just lie about my builder number :D

One time I called because I got the threaded rod end stuck in a pushrod. I thought it might be normal but I got the dreaded "hmm havent heard that one before". Arg! At least they're polite enough to wait until after the call has ended to begin the laughing :)

Stuck.png

Last edited:
Every Time I Call

I try not to divulge my builder's number unless I have to: 299. Bought the tail kit in '83. It hung half finished until '06 when I committed to it again. 28 years: good grief.

Builder's Number

I love to give my builder's number because it's 1234. Cool, huh. I don't really have any stories about dumb questions, but I have called to ask what type of replacement hardware I need to order. I didn't have my instruction manual handy, so I was describing the pictures on the page and asking, "what type of nut and washer is that in the bottom righthand corner?" Great service to actually look it up for me. Thanks Vans!

I've avoided an awful lot of them by keeping my mouth shut and making good use of the search feature on VAF!

Thanks Doug! :D

I wouldn't say it's embarrassing, but it sure does give the guys at the factory a lift when I call and say "OK, here's an RV-3 question..." When they all stop their laughing, I feel that I have done my job to lighten their day.... ;)

(There's only one guy at the factory who has ever built a -3...and Van doesn't usually man the phones....)

The way I view it, when it comes to safety there are no dumb questions. I know when I was building my RV-6 I called in with some doozies.:rolleyes:

It is part research project after all so builders should avail themselves to any/all information available. Van's lists just some of the possible sources in the Construction Manual. There are others including right here on VAF. Be careful separating fact from opinion or just plain bad info. I think the EAA does a great job with the Tech Counselor and Flight Advisor programs. I don't think builders use that enough and it helped me immensley when I built. As I was told, "Don't build in (an information) vacuum". If all else fails, give Van's a call or shoot them an E-mail...