mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Riveting the side rails by the canopy today.

All goes well until you reach where Bonanza have already fitted the mid seat tube.

Imagine a shot of the side of the fuselage here - I messed up my Picasa account !!!!!!!!

These rivets are impossible to set without removing all the structure.

Plan B

Cherry Max........ :rolleyes:

Anyone else have similar issues ?

Also, the countersinking on the substructure was very poor - hardly nested at all, gap between the outer skin and the top longeron.

Last edited:
Mike, I have seen several builders put solid rivets in those holes. I did not even try-I used Cherrymax. They are hardly noticable, and after fill and paint no one will know. Fellow builder Bill found a way to buck solid rivets in this area. I believe he taped a small tungsten bar to a popcicle stick and used another set of hands to help. If interested, let me know and I can PM his kitlog link to you. My longerons also did not have much countersink in some of the holes, so the side skins did not pull down completely flush where the dimples nest into the angles. Don't think there is much that can be done about the fit at this point. Just another QB delima, I suppose.

Steve
RV-8 Fuse

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful info Steve,

It's our second build so I am not as concerned with using alternatives. Sad to hear others are having similar occurrences and wanted to see if we were not alone.

As our 7 kit was initially assembled in the Czech Republic it was absolutely spot on. I think Vans used CZAW as an alternative assembly plant then.

This 8 is proving a little more challenging but we are getting there :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. I was trying to finish up all the rivets that could have been done in the QB shop and when I got to these I was stumped. I tried to use my steel plate used for back riveting as the bucking bar. I was by myself and the rivets started to set but not completely. I left them alone until I have someone to help hold the steel plate. This may work with a helper but if not I will use cherry max.

Which cherry max would you use?

I used a CR3214-4-4. They fit a #30 hole, but have a reduced head to fit a #40 dimple. You can get them from General Aircraft Hardware Co. in small quantities.

Steve
Skyking902001
RV-8 fuse

I got some of the heavy duty structural ones at Freemans or B & B at Sun n Fun.

They are a 1/8th hole but the mandrel stays in, finishes flush. They are the ones with a little washer and a serrated stem.

I saw this thread the last few days and thought, "ha, glad my QB RV-9A doesn't have those problems." But today I found a glitch where the Pinay lads failed to trim parts for the tip-up canopy (F-721B on Dwg 18 for the curious). Fortunately it's not difficult to trim installed. Too bad since I have really appreciated the workmanship of my QB.