Davepar

Well Known Member
I saw a reference in Bob's newsletter (I think) about a possible AOA product from Trutrak. I called them today to get more info. I'm writing this from memory, so don't hold me (or them) to the details.

The Angle of Attack option will be an add-on to their ADI and ADI Pilot products. A leading edge vane will feed AOA info to the ADI. The ADI Pilot already has the software in it to understand the AOA. (I'm buying a ADI Pilot, so he didn't mention the ADI. It might be the same, or maybe it'll need new s/w.) The AOA info will display in the 3 digit display of the ADI where the direction is usually displayed. During cruise, it will read direction. When you slow down and approach higher angles of attack, the display will switch to a flashing "2" and display one bar on each side. This threshold is user settable. This will increase to 3, 4, etc. up to 8 indicating stall, with more bars displayed on each side as well. They're considering adding an audio alert, but it won't be in the initial release. There won't be an external display. They're hoping to have it ready by Oshkosh.

The best part: it's a $250 add-on to the ADI.

Dave

Also: They know their web site is woefully out of date. They've send updates to their "web guy" who will hopefull update it soon.

Last edited:
Not interested

I'll be buying a Trutrak ADI Pilot, but I'm not interested in the AOA option unless it can drive an external display.

When you really need an AOA display, your eyes are outside the cockpit. I want it mounted on a little vertical display that I can bolt to the roll bar.

I hate spending $1500 for the Professional Advanced Flight Systems version, but I do want the data.