Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I know ya'll must be getting tired of me but I am only asking
stuff I have no way of knowing.
Story..I have purchased an unfinished RV9A that sits near Atlanta, GA.
I need to get it to my house near Baton Rouge, LA 460 miles away.
I have a flat bed and Mel's idea of jig for main gear.
Fuselage on gear, engine installed, no wings and no empennage.
First...how much does that weigh? Seems most of weight is in the front.
Second..can two grown men, not really wimps yet, pick up at the main gear
and get it off the ground without making new hernias?
How high do you think we can get it off the ground?
I have no feel for what can be done on man handling this thing onto
the trailer. We do have an electric winch on the front. This trailer is for
hauling cars with the low sloped back and ramps but only 7' wide hince
the jig Mel suggested that will run across the trailer and hold the main gear.
Any and all suggestions, direction, crayon drawings will be appreciated.
Sure would hate to destroy my new airplane getting it home.

Bert,
On my 9A without the wings or engine, I could lift the gear on one side up myself to put a small dolly under the wheels to make it easier to move around in the garage. With the engine on, not even close!

I don't think 2 of you would have that much trouble getting it up a ramp onto the car mover. Having 3 would be safer - even if one was just in the front of the trailer with a rope to guide it and as a safety to keep it from rolling back off. For a ramp, I would use 2x8 with a 2x4 on each side making a U channel to make sure the main gear didn't come off the ramp.

I will be doing this exact thing this week as I get ready to move my plane from Colorado to Idaho. I will take some pictures and let you know how it goes. Good luck to both of us!

Too wide

I think Bert is saying that the trailer isn't wide enough for the main gear, so rolling it up ramps and onto the trailer doesn't seem possible. At least one side will have to be lifted and guided onto some sort of bracket.

Also, with the engine hanging, even one wheel will have quite a bit of weight. Sounds like a hazardous operation if you're planning on man handling it with only 2 guys.:eek: Bring more people or some type of lift.

I think Bert is saying that the trailer isn't wide enough for the main gear, so rolling it up ramps and onto the trailer doesn't seem possible. At least one side will have to be lifted and guided onto some sort of bracket.

Also, with the engine hanging, even one wheel will have quite a bit of weight. Sounds like a hazardous operation if you're planning on man handling it with only 2 guys.:eek: Bring more people or some type of lift.

I understand the wheels are wider than the trailer. The ramp will go up to the 2x10 that spans across the trailer and sticks out behind the fenders to make it wide enough for the gear. Because the engine is on, that will put more weight at the back of the trailer so make sure you balance your load. Not nearly as critical with 2 axels, but still a consideration.

It is not a tricky thing to do or even that difficult. I would hesitate to use a wench and would rely on the human factor to be able to feel stress or weight changes. Wench would work as a good safety measure, but roll it up by hand.

Vlad - looks like a move is in the near future. I am developing a new project between Boise and Caldwell. I will still be working in the Aspen area, but will base in Idaho. It will be different for sure, but change is always exciting! Our son deploys to "the rock pile" in October and we will be able to help his wife with our grandkids.

Last edited:
.... snip...

Vlad - looks like a move is in the near future. I am developing a new project between Boise and Caldwell. I will still be working in the Aspen area, but will base in Idaho. It will be different for sure, but change is always exciting! Our son deploys to "the rock pile" in October and we will be able to help his wife with our grandkids.

Cool. New destination for 2014 :D

This video(actually still pics to music) was on the front page this morning. Might give you the ideas you need. Loading the trailer started about 2:30, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIGiqlmd8WI&feature=youtu.be

Here's a pic of us moving a -4 on a flatbed. It shows how you can get the wings on the same trailer, if you have stands for them. I would remove or secure everything. Also it is amazing how light an airplane is on a stiff car trailer. Let some air out of the tires for a little cushion, but strap it down tight and check it often

MikesRV4011.jpg