Arie

Well Known Member
Good day Guys
I have a few questions for the flaps on the RV7. I have drilled my flap hinge to the wings with a 1/4 inch gap between the ailerons and flaps, as per plan. The gap is nice and consistent from top to bottom.

wingscontinuepart2021.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wingscontinuepart2022.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The ailerons was installed exactly as the plans says with the right amount of washers and spacers. It may seem in the photo of the outboard aileron bracket. that the bracket is tilted inwards but a assure you it it only a photo effect of taking the photo a bit askew, as well as such a closeup photo.

wingscontinuepart2028.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wingscontinuepart2029.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This was done on both wings with great care. The inboard part of the flap extends 1 17/32 inches past the top inboard wing skin, along the rivet line on the flap spar.

wingscontinuepart2024.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My question is there are a 1/16 inch difference in this measurement between my Left and Right flap. iaw the other flap measures 1 15/32 past the top of the inboard wing skin at the same point. Do you guys think it would give me trouble down the road when I fit the wings to the fuselage as I can not find anywhere in the plans the size of the gap between the flaps and the fuselage, The only reference is the plans says to expect to trim the top of the flap once the wings are mounted to the fuselage. Can someone with their wings mounted to the fuselage give me a measurement in the same place?? and how big the gap is between the flap and the fuselage on top of the flaps.
My next question is the part of the hinge that extends past the flap brace on the bottom of the wings.

wingscontinuepart2026.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Would it be OK to cut it flush with the wing skin, and not have it extended past the flap brace and wing skin? I dont see a problem with that as it is not fixed to anything.
Kind regards
Arie

Last edited:
I would hold off on any trimming until you have the wings mounted to the fuse. At that point you can trim the tops and bottoms as required or desired to fit with the fuse. I would not expect the dimensions to be identical across different planes. I trimmed the hinge flush with the edge of the wing skin.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanx Larry
I dont intend to trim the flap top skins before I fit the wings to the fuse. I just wanted to know how much trimming are normaly required.

Thanx Larry
I dont intend to trim the flap top skins before I fit the wings to the fuse. I just wanted to know how much trimming are normaly required.

I am building a 6, so no pre-punching. You'll see variability from both the unique incidence and sweep settings on your build. Each will affect how you trim the top skins. I can't remember how much I trimmed off. With the wings installed, I attached the flaps in the down position and nibbled away at the top skin to fit the contour of my fuse.

Larry

1/16" as van says you are not building a swiss watch. don't worry about it. when you fit your wings all will be well.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

My next question is the part of the hinge that extends past the flap brace on the bottom of the wings.

wingscontinuepart2026.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Would it be OK to cut it flush with the wing skin, and not have it extended past the flap brace and wing skin? I dont see a problem with that as it is not fixed to anything.
Kind regards
Arie

Leave it for now...just put something bright and "safety orange" or yellow or whatever on it so you don't bump it and bend it.

As others said...don't trim anything until you fit the wings, flaps, ailerons, wingtips, etc., all on the plane together.

BTW...nice-looking work!