HT1

Boomers question about A/C rules reminded me of a question I had about buying an already flying plane. I was wondering if an Operators Handbook was required for and experimental aircraft. I called the EAA and was told it was not required for experimental A/C. I was surprised when I read this on Vans web site a few days ago under "Letters and Notices".

"In addition, regulations require an Operator?s Handbook. This handbook is the responsibility of
the aircraft builder/owner/test pilot. Because an RV might be fitted with almost any engine,
propeller, avionics and other equipment imaginable (and sometimes, equipment Van?s never
imagined!) the data needed to compile the Operator?s Handbook must be derived by flight test of
the specific airplane."

What do you guys think...required or not ?

I was also surprised when I read this "

The new owner must have condition inspections, maintenance and repairs
signed off by an Airframe and Powerplant certificate holder, or by the holder of the Repairman?s
Certificate.

Is this a CYA kind of thing for Vans?

Last edited:
The new owner must have condition inspections, maintenance and repairs signed off by an Airframe and Powerplant certificate holder, or by the holder of the Repairman?s Certificate.

I'm sure this is true, and I assume the first statement to be true as well.

Your experimental aircraft requires annual condition inspections just like a certified aircraft, except they don't need to be done by an AI. Any A&P is permitted to do them, or the person with the "Repairman Certificate", which can only be the one who built the aircraft, and if he/she applied for and received the certificate. However, you, the owner are permitted to repair any squawks as a result of that inspection.

I don't know for sure, but I always assumed you needed an aircraft manual as well.

Cheers,

Last edited:
The operating limitations issued by the FAA IS you operating handbook. If you want a more official looking one, you may do it but it is not required. The builder, if holder of the "repairman certificate", or A&P may sign off the annual condition inspection. Anyone can do any and all maintenance.
For a major modification, it depends on what you operating limitations say. The earlier ones said that you must get a recurrent certification. Later ones allow you to put the aircraft back into phase I for testing yourself.