Fearless

Well Known Member
Would anybody know the origins for the flywheels that Dick Waters at Air-Tec sells? I got one with the core I bought from him (wouldn't do again). I tried to time my mags and in doing so found out that the timing marks on it are off compared to the stock Lycoming flywheels. My engine is an O-320 and we checked the flywheel against a certified O-320 Lycoming flywheel that goes on my brothers engine. The hole marked 0 is off one lug compared to the Lycoming one. I took it the airport and compared it to another Lycoming flywheel they had and was off one lug to that one as well. Would anybody know what engine the flywheel was intended for with the mark being where it is compared to a Lycoming part.

timing

Forget the flywheel timing marks and get one of these: AIRCRAFT TIMING
INDICATOR - MODEL E25
Part # 12-01014

Could it have been from a Left Hand rotation Lycoming.

A local builder accidently got a used flywhen from a L0-360 version and had a lot of trouble until he realised what it was....:)

The key is to see if the BTC degree markingsares on the correct side of the TDC mark.

I have one of the Rite Systems that I am using for timing. So I have timed the magnetos utilizing it and not going by the marks on the flywheel. If you rotate the flywheel one lug to the right of the marked 0 hole the timing marks match up to a stock Lycoming part. Part of this post is a warning to watch what you are buying because it might not be right and you can waste a lot of time. Part of building a plane is to gain experience and as far as engines are concerned I am learning a very expensive one.

A piston stop and a digital level taped to the prop = Time Rite system.

You most likely own the expensive part already .

Tom

a little time, a prop protractor and a set of stamps from HF and you have the proper marks.

robert burns

RV-4 N82RB